Skip to main content

Darrell


My blog has mainly turned into a place for me to document my adventures, but today I feel like writing about my love life. I figure I should mention it at least occasionally, or else change the name of my blog. (Maybe I should do that anyway, since no one really calls me Blueberry anymore…)

Bernie and I have been on and off for a year now. Whenever we’re “off,” I feel the need to date someone else to prove that I can be happy without him. I am always wrong. Every other date I go on just makes me wish I was with him. But this post will not be about Bernie. This is about Darrell.

I met Darrell during an “off” phase with Bernie a few months ago. We met online and had a slightly awkward first date at Cibo. I am shy in large groups, but I usually do well with one-on-one conversations. This was not the case on our date. We struggled to find things to talk about. However, he wanted to see me again, and I believe it’s good to always give it a second date. (Unless, of course, there are huge red flags. Like that one guy who loved hunting and wanted to tell me, the vegetarian, about what it’s like to remove a deer’s internal organs.)

Second date was the same. Not much to talk about. But when he kissed me… GREAT chemistry. How could I give that up?

The tricky thing about Darrell is that he has two kids. This in itself is not completely off-putting to me, but he has primary custody of these children, resulting in him only being free on Mondays and Tuesdays. He leaves work early every other day so they’re not in daycare after school, so Mondays and Tuesdays become the days he has to work late. And his family lives out of state, so babysitting is not readily available.

He is a good man. And a good father. And I have enjoyed spending time with him.

But he is not the man for me. It’s hard to date someone when you can only see them once a week, if that. Not only that, but we are in different stages of our lives. He is remodeling his home. He is looking for a wife and a mother to his kids. He loves hearing my outdoorsy stories and says he’d love to come with me, but when would that happen?

Also, the conversation is still somewhat forced. We have nothing in common. For example, when he comes over, he takes off his gun and sets it on the coffee table. Being from Chicago, my jaw hit the floor when that happened for the first time. As my friend Meeghan would say, he’s a good man, but he’s not MY man.

And of course, it doesn’t help that, when I’m with him, I just keep thinking that I wish he was Bernie and feel like crying.

Things are tapering off with Darrell, which is fine. We've tried to make plans to see each other, and things keep coming up and getting in the way. He is texting less frequently, and I am okay with this just ending naturally. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…