Skip to main content

Being Lutheran


Reading Nadia Bolz-Weber’s book for small group has made me homesick for the faith I grew up in.

I grew up in a wonderful LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) congregation. These people had community down, and our families had been attending this church for many generations. It was a really special place, and I never heard any talk about homosexuality being sin, or women not being equal to men, or evolution being a lie.

Then, I went to an LCMS college.

At first, I bought into what my theology professors were telling me. I flirted with fundamentalism. But Rob Bell’s book “Velvet Elvis” changed everything for me, and I stopped attending Lutheran church.

Since then, I have bounced around and ended up at a Mennonite church. But Nadia’s book has made me realize there are parts of me that will always be Lutheran.

Baptism and communion are mystical sacraments in the Lutheran church. When I take communion, I don’t believe it is purely symbolic. I believe the true body and blood are in, with, and under the bread and wine. I don’t believe I’m actually eating flesh and blood, but this is the Lutheran’s way of saying, “Something more is happening here.”  I’ve heard it described as the closest we’ll be to God’s presence while we’re on earth.

In baptism, I am crucified with Christ, and my old self no longer lives; Christ lives in me. I’m made new. Dead to sin and alive in Christ. I’m not just becoming part of God’s family, or being saved from going to hell, or joining a church. I made a commitment to be a follower of Jesus when I was confirmed. Baptism is more than that. This is why, in her book, Nadia suggests that when the voices in our head or other people are telling us we're not good enough, our response should be, "I'm baptized, so f*** off!"

Most of the other churches I’ve been to don’t talk much about sin, but Lutherans confess their sins every Sunday. I love how Nadia describes it on her blog:

“The reality is that I cannot free myself from the bondage of self. I cannot by my own understanding or effort disentangle myself from self interest – and when I think that I can …I’m basically trying to do what is only God’s to do. So, to me, there is… a great hope  in admitting my mortality and my brokenness because then I finally lay aside my sin management program long enough to allow God to be God for me.  Which is all any of us really need when it comes down to it.”

Confessing our sin is part of the liturgy, something else I miss. Growing up, I found it difficult to glean something new from the same routine every Sunday. But there is something sacred in worshipping with the same words Christians have used for a few thousand years.

I love the Mennonite church and its teachings. The congregation I’ve found is a place unlike any other, and I can’t imagine being happier anywhere else. I have no plans to return to the Lutheran Church.

But these are the parts of me that will always be Lutheran. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…