Skip to main content

Paula's Visit

Paula, my college roommate, came to visit this weekend. Paula and I have been through some stuff (okay, a LOT of stuff) together. I was going to go on and on about all the things I love about her, but I realized I've already done that on this blog, many times. So I'll just talk about what we did.

Our weekend began with happy hour at Gallo Blanco, followed by my birthday celebration at Mabel's on Main in Scottsdale. Amanda insisted that a canyon was not enough of a celebration, because that's what I would have been doing that day, anyway, so I chose Mabel's because, according to the New Times, they have the best Old Fashioned cocktails in the Valley.

They New Times didn't lie. They made them with Buffalo Trace bourbon, which is my second favorite bourbon. So honestly, a lot of the night is a blur, but I know I was really loud and had a lot of fun. I was really happy with the random group of people that showed up, and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, too. Here is a really terrible group shot:


I would like to apologize to my friends for posting this unflattering picture, but I feel like I need some pictorial evidence of the evening.

This one is a little better:

(Me, Amanda, and Jason)

Before I'd had too many Old Fashioned's, Amanda requested that everyone go around the table and say their favorite thing about me. I was really embarrassed, because she'd already done that on our canyon trip, but she was insistent. It was a really beautiful moment, so I want to remember what everyone said.

Meeghan talked about my heart for kids and teaching the kids that are hardest to teach.

Jenna said that I always have adventures up my sleeve, like the time we drove all the way to Mesa for a cookie. Jason chimed in and says that sounded about right; that I could be out in the middle of the desert and still know where to find the best baked goods within a 50 mile radius.

Amanda said that even when I'm angry or depressed, I'm still smiling and delivering baked goods to sick people.

Paula said that even though I get really passionate and worked up about things, I am willing to back down and forgive.

Jason said TWO nice things about me. I couldn't even handle it. First, he called me a badass and said that he trusts me with other people's lives in canyons, and that's why he invites me in groups where it's all new people. Later he said, "Let's be honest. You don't really bring anything to a (canyoneering) team. You can't carry the rope, and we know we'll be going a little slower if you come along. But... you're Erin. And that's what you contribute."

I almost burst into tears, but I didn't want to embarrass both of us.

Everyone's words meant so much to me; I sent thank you notes with my favorite things about each of them.

The next day, Paula and I went for a drive down the Apache Trail. We both hate all of the pictures, so I can't even post half of them, but I gotta have some documentation of our fun! (I seriously need to take a photography class.)

We ate at Tortilla Flat



and enjoyed the scenery.

We stopped at Tonto National Monument so I could get a stamp for my passport book.

(It's hard to see, but there are cliff dwellings above me.)

We shopped and had ice cream in Globe, where the owners told us about a naked man who roams the woods near Young. Bernie, is that you? I had to ask if the man wears yellow Crocs. 

We had dinner at Welcome Diner (I am obsessed with their fried green tomato sandwich) and went home and watched Sherlock and planned DIY projects for my apartment.

The next morning, we had breakfast at Vovomeena , and then it was already time to take her to the airport. I stalled, driving around the Willo district to show her all the pretty homes. It's hard to say goodbye when you don't know when you'll see each other again! But we always figure it out. And I'm so glad we got this time together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…