Skip to main content

Woodbine Falls and Beartooth Falls

Yesterday I found out I need a new tire. Which doesn't sound like a big deal, but my tires are under warranty at Discount Tire, which is 10 hours away. My dad suggested buying a pump, but I didn't want to admit to him that I don't actually know how to put air in my tires. I told him I'd deal with it later.

"Up to you," he replied. "You can either whistle as you walk past the graveyard, or cross the street so you don't have to whistle."

I chose to whistle, and proceeded to drive 10 miles up an awful, rocky, unpaved road to Initial Creek campground. I went on the previously described hike and totally forgot about my tire troubles. A woodpecker shared my campsite last night, and I swear he looked just like Woody Woodpecker. It was pretty awesome.

After praying all the way down that dort road that my tire wouldn't blow out, my first stop this morning was Woodbine Falls. (Third picture below... Why does Blogger publish things all crazy??) It was pretty. Not much to say. Am I becoming immune to the beauty of waterfalls? Quel horreur!

My second hike today was Beartooth Falls. You can see the falls from the road (first picture below). This is how most people experience this 100 foot waterfall. But my guidebook said you can scramble to the top, and that exactly what I did. I perched on that little outcropping you see in the picture and took a little video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=VSw_DTqw7y0

It was a sublime moment, to be on top of this huge waterfall, getting sprayed in the face with icy water and feeling dizzy as you looked down into it.

And that's when I felt kind of lonely.

I don't mind being alone. I NEED time alone. But sometimes, when I'm on top of a waterfall or frolicking in a meadow, I wish there was someone to turn to and say, "Can you believe this is happening right now?" I have so many exquisite moments that no one else will ever understand. In some cases, that's a good thing. But for some reason, this year I'm wanting companionship. And I'm not necessarily taking about a guy; I'd be happy with any of my girlfriends joining me, too. So, I think this will be my last year of complete solo travel. Next year I will travel to a place where I know people, and I'll make sure I have plans for friends to join me.

In the meantime, I will continue to find joy in all these little moments, and be grateful that I am in this magic place.

And perhaps go to a bar and try to meet a guy. :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…