Skip to main content

Humphrey's Peak. Almost.

My mom’s piano student Molly just moved out here for college, and my mom asked me to look out for her. During Friday night dinner at The Main Ingredient, she shared her hiking adventures over the course of her month in Arizona: Camelback and Fossil Creek. “What should I do next?” she asked.

“What are you up to tomorrow? Want to do the Grand Canyon? Or Humphrey’s Peak?” Go big or go home, I was thinking. (There may have been a cocktail in my hand during this conversation.)

“Really?” Molly squealed. She was delighted. She reminds me of Taylor Swift and is absolutely adorable.

And that is how I found myself headed north the next morning, despite all the things I really needed to be doing at home.

We decided en route to tackle Humphrey’s Peak in hopes of seeing fall color. There were some golden aspens at the beginning, but most of the hike was a steady climb through the forest. Molly was convinced we were making great time. “I think we’re almost there!” she kept saying. “There’s no way it’s going to take us four hours!”



I appreciated this girl’s optimism, but I knew we were going to get our butts kicked. Well, I was, at least. She is a sand volleyball player and in much better shape than me.

I started off strong, but about three hours in I waved Molly on. I told her to go ahead and summit, and I’d meet her at the saddle. I was even doubting my ability to make it there! I underestimated the altitude factor; my lungs were burning.

But I made it to the saddle and was quite happy with that. I’d already gone 2,000 feet, and the summit would have required another 1,000 feet in just under a mile.  No thanks. I don’t need to prove anything to anyone. I’m no peak bagger. Besides, we’d started hiking just after 11:30 that morning; I don’t think I had enough daylight to summit and hike almost 5 miles back down.



While waiting for Molly on the saddle, I had a few interesting conversations. The first was with a former Marine/current hotshot (wilderness firefighter). He vagabonds in the off-season. Needless to say, we could have talked for hours. He found me on Facebook the next day, so I’m hoping I’ve made a new friend.

Soon after the hotshot left, a girl limped down from the summit trail, using trekking poles as crutches. She’d sprained her ankle while taking a jump-shot selfie on the summit. She seemed suitably embarrassed. A few minutes later, a group of SAR guys appeared on the scene and were super sweet and non-judgmental. (That must be part of their training.) After explaining her options, it was decided that she’d be air-lifted off the mountain. Seems excessive for a sprain, but it was definitely the easiest way to get her down.

Molly was feeling fabulous after summiting the highest point in Arizona, and we hurried down the mountain at dusk. We stopped at this spectacular view, and I thought, “Then sings my soul…” Appropriate, since I was singing that for church the next day.




We ended our adventure with Café Rio and a brief visit at Jack and Allison’s. I love Molly’s adventurous spirit and am looking forward to our next hike!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…