Skip to main content

Witch's Cauldron

I literally lost sleep over this canyon.


It is an R slot. The R means “extraordinary risk factors.” The hardest slot I had previously done was Hog 2, a PG slot. I knew I was going to be in way over my head.

This canyon earned its R rating for two reasons- the keeper pothole and the high stemming at least 30 feet off the ground. I wasn’t worried about the pothole. I knew the boys could pull me out of there. But the stemming… I’d be on my own for that.

Most of the canyon was fun and easy. As Adam observed me on one of the downclimbs, he said, “You know what to do… Looks like you just need practice.” He couldn't have given me a sweeter compliment. 



There was one pothole that was slightly awkward to climb over, and I just rappelled right down into it, then let Adam and Brian pull me out. But other than that, it was smooth sailing.



Our different approaches to potholes... 




We arrived at the witch’s cauldron (the keeper pothole), and Adam used some crazy Matrix moves to avoid it. Brian went in but easily found a way out. I floundered around and needed Brian to pull me out, just as expected. But I was relieved to be past the first obstacle.



After that came a long, tight hallway. 


Adam and I were able to squeeze through, but Brian had to go high. It was so narrow, you couldn’t even turn your head. There was a brief respite, and then more narrows. This was the mandatory stemming section, the other reason the canyon had an R rating. And this is where I almost lost it.

First of all, you couldn’t see how long this section went on. It curved, so there was no end in sight. The second problem was that I had trouble even getting into position for the stemming. Full disclosure- Adam got up first, then helped pull me up. It was an awkward move that’s hard to describe, but there was a log in the way that complicated things. Another issue was my pack. I brought a wetsuit because I was unsure of how long we’d be in the water and how cold it would be. Turns out it wasn’t that bad, and the boys didn’t have wetsuits. So mine was in my pack, taking up space and weighing me down. (It was wet from the potholes.) I tried to hang it from my harness, and it was just so heavy. The boys could tell this was too much for me to handle and Brian gallantly offered to carry the wetsuit and my water, reducing my pack size considerably. Adam later said he thought I was going to lose it; they were fully expecting tears and hysterics. But Jason once said that what makes me a badass is the fact that I’ll get through the scary stuff, despite the fact that I’m completely terrified. I could tell Adam and Brian were bracing themselves for hysterics, but I just needed a minute to talk myself into it. I thought about the worst case scenario, which was falling and getting wedged in the bottom. It wouldn’t kill me, it would just really really suck. It was a risk I was willing to take.

And so we started stemming. Adam went first and coached me through each move. Brian followed close behind and offered words of encouragement. I glanced down once and realized what a bad idea this was; it was hard to even see the ground. It was dark below us and above us. My entire existence was just my hands and knees and the rock in front of me.


We rounded a curve, and daylight appeared. When I stepped onto solid ground, I threw my arms around Adam in a wordless thank you. My helmet was askew and my mouth was so dry I could barely talk. But I felt amazing. And actually, one of my first thoughts was, “I can’t believe it’s over already!” I thought for sure there would be more obstacles ahead, but there was just one more rappel (well, a downclimb for the boys), and we were out. The funny thing was that THIS is where I got stuck. I was so relieved to be done with the previous section that I got careless and got wedged in the rock. No amount of wiggling was helping, and it was further complicated by the fact that I was on rope. Adam had to climb above me and pull me up. That boy is STRONG.




We were in a beautiful little alcove that had a lovely echo, so I serenaded the boys with “Let It Go” while Adam made quick work of the downclimb. And that was it; we had defeated the Witch’s Cauldron.




This canyon was named so appropriately. Between the cauldron and the deep dark narrows and the bumps on the rock that looked like warts, it had a creepy feeling to it.


I always say I’m not out to prove anything, but on Saturday, I was. I feel like people underestimate me, and I hadn’t done anything challenging in a while. I needed to prove to myself that I’m still a badass. It is true that Brian and Adam helped a lot, and it wouldn’t have been possible without them. But still… with just one PG canyon on my resume, I was able to defeat an R canyon. And that feels pretty good.

*Photos courtesy of Brian Bassett

Comments

Lisa said…
Nice, Erin. Sounds like a very empowering experience! I'll never forget my first high stemming adventure - Pandora's Box!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…