Skip to main content

Forgotten Canyon Fail

This trip was all about exploring the Swell, and I had a bunch of hikes marked in my Kelsey book that I wanted to try. I began the day with a drive down Temple Mountain Road, taking it all the way through the reef to where it hits I-70. On this drive, I was treated to beautiful views of Temple Mountain:


The Swazey Cabin (I thought the rock behind it looked like Mox, Jack and Allison’s dog):



And some rock art:

My next plan was to hike one of the canyons in the Kelsey book, but the road was just too rough. Roads in the the Swell are no joke… After this trip, I started thinking that I need a new car. I consulted my Kelsey book again and decided to hike Forgotten Canyon, a slot canyon that is a tributary of Eagle Canyon.

I followed a long, winding dirt road for miles without seeing another car. I parked as soon as the road curved back to the west and headed northeast with just a map and compass. There was no type of trail, and this terrain can be difficult to hike because it all looks the same.

My compass didn’t fail me, and soon I came upon this view.


I even found a little cairn marking the spot where I should drop in. I felt euphoric and couldn’t wait to get down into that canyon. I sat down on a ledge and was about to climb down to the next level when my common sense came flooding back.

I was the only person around for miles.

I didn’t know a lot about this canyon. I saw a few spots that I wasn’t 100% sure I could get back up.

If I had even one other person with me, there would have been no hesitation. But it was probably not wise to do this extremely remote hike by myself.

It was a terrible moment. Not only was it nearly impossible to walk away from such a beautiful sight, but it was just a reminder of how very alone I was. I love my travels, but during moments like this, it would be nice to have a partner.


After this fail, I really needed a win. I headed to another remote area in the northwest Swell to see the enormous concretions pictured of the cover of Kelsey’s book. It took some effort, but I found them. Moki marbles on steroids! Many of them are still embedded in the cliffs.


Some have fallen and broken, and some are still perfectly round. I’ve heard they have good energy (not really sure how rocks can have energy, but whatever), so I hugged this rock for a long time.  It was nice to have at least one thing work out that day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…