Skip to main content

Cameltoe

My first solo canyon! No worries, this will not be a frequent event for me. But conditions were just right for this to work out.

It's hard traveling alone and not being able to do anything besides easy day hikes. I bought the new Moab canyoneering book the other night and immediately started looking for something I could do. I only have 120 feet of rope, so that immediately ruled out many of the canyons in the area. From what I can tell, it seems like many of the canyons around here are technically simple but have big rappels. I think Brian referred to that as "cliffaneering."

Well, I asked Brian about it, and he recommended Cameltoe, which was just perfect. I only told Brian where I was going so if it didn't work out, no one would know about my failure. It had just one rappel, and there were no committing downclimbs. At any point, I could have gone back the way I came (although it would have been a pain). Navigation was simple, made even easier by numerous footprints. Normally it would be irresponsible for someone at my ability level to solo a canyon, but it really was the ideal canyon for it. Actually, I think it was even easier than when I did Dang. After the first downclimb in that canyon, I was committed. And, to make matters worse, I had no rope or webbing. *That* was a somewhat irresponsible choice. Today really wasn't a big deal.

Well, except it kind of was. I loved the nervous feeling in my stomach and knowing I was totally on my own and had to handle whatever I might encounter. I loved figuring things out for myself and not just following someone else, even if it did mean having to backtrack and try a different way a few times. I loved the solitude that allowed me to sing and dance whenever a good song came on my iPod. And I loved being able to hike at my own pace and not worry about slowing anyone down. (And my pace was not terrible; the book said 3-5 hours and I finished in 3:40. At least 20 minutes of that was spent messing around at the top of the rappel.)

I did not love carrying the rope the whole time.

I think I actually had swagger on the way back to my car as I listened to Lizzo- "I got my batches and cookies..."

(Looking down into the canyon on the approach... I'm guessing all the scalloped rocks are why someone named this Cameltoe)

(Small section of narrows, followed by a   waist-deep wade, followed by the only  mandatory rappel)

(Rappelling selfie... Absolutely terrible pic, but proof that I did it)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…