Skip to main content

Pottymouth Canyon

I met up with Brian and his friends/roommates on Saturday night with plans to do two canyons on Sunday: Pottymouth and Sinusitis. As soon as I read the beta, I was less than thrilled; keeper potholes are not my cup of tea. 

Pottymouth and Sinusitis both drain into Warm Springs Canyon. In order to travel up Warm Springs, a rope needs to be set. (Unless you are Adam and have Spider-Man-like climbing abilities.) So, what most people do is descend Pottymouth, set the rope, then hike up and out and back down Sinusitis.

Pottymouth was supposed to be nontechnical, but I needed a handline for one drop and rappelled another. Honestly, I think I was being a bit over-cautious, but in the moment I was nervous and Brian is all about doing whatever you need to feel safe. This is one of the things I love about doing canyons with Brian; he hangs out with the most hardcore people and yet has never rolled his eyes when I've asked for a handline.

Anyway, the canyon was a lot of fun with some really skinny sections we squeezed through on the ground and one where we had to go high (like at least 20 feet high). I was having a great time; this canyon was right at my sweet spot in terms of difficulty. 

(Adam is crazy awesome... I will never be this graceful in a canyon.)

(And he and Brian do all that crazy stuff while carrying rope! Not easy.)

(Beautifully sculpted section)

(Super skinny)

(I am trying to smile, but I am thinking, "Come on, Brian, I am trying to do work here." That downclimb started back behind Adam, and there was a creepy looking pothole about 20 feet below us.)

And then I came to the section that made me say, "Oh, shit."

Pottymouth lived up to its name. 

I had seen the words "high stemming" and "silos" in the beta, but Brian didn't remember reading that and was convinced I'd made it up. But here it was in front of me.

"Brian!!!!" I yelled.


Adam went first and Amanda followed fearlessly. I hesitated because I wanted to hear what was up ahead before I committed. 

Brian was not happy. He hates the skinny stuff. "Hey, want to skip it?" he whispered to me.

I was part scandalized, part torn. But Adam reported back that this stemming required moves more difficult than what we'd done in Witch's Cauldron. I know my limits, and I knew I should have had more practice even before I did that canyon. So I guiltily followed Brian up and over the slickrock to the end of the stemming section. It took Adam and Amanda about a half hour to get through 125 feet of canyon, so I have no regrets about that decision. 

And that was pretty much it for the canyon. We had reached the junction with Warm Springs, and I decided to bail on Sinusitus. Pottymouth had pools, which meant there was sure to be plenty of water in Sinusitis. I just wasn't in the mood for swimming and cold water. Besides, this was a great opportunity for me to regain some of my confidence, as I'd have to navigate cross-country to get back to Brian's car. 

The hike was no problem, and I spent some time sunbathing European-style and just enjoying the quiet. A few hours later, the boys appeared on the horizon. As they got closer, I realized they were missing their pants! In Allison's words, "The canyons giveth, and the canyons taketh away." Apparently it was a rough canyon... Glad I sat that one out!

*Photos courtesy of Brian Bassett

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…