Skip to main content

Montezuma's Castle and West Clear Creek

When school starts, I have a weekend routine. 

Friday night- stay home and do nothing
Saturday- explore AZ 
Sunday- church, baking, and cleaning

It's pretty great. 

This weekend, Hannah and I decided to check out Montezuma's Castle National Monument up near Camp Verde.



My favorite part of this was the diorama. After they took down the ladders and no longer allowed people in the ruins, someone built a diorama of what the inside looks like. You press a button for a narration that tells you what life was like for these people. 


For some reason, this scene just cracked me up. 

 
A blind man leading his wife around. Why did they need to include this?? There was also a little boy about to jump off a roof, and his mom throwing her hands up in consternation. I could not stop laughing.

Also part of this monument is Montezuma's Well. 


Over a million gallons of water flow into this pool each day from an underground spring. You would not want to swim in this water... It is carbonated, has high levels of arsenic, and contains at least five endemic species (many of which are leeches). No fish. It is 124 feet deep.

West Clear Creek is also in the area, so we decided to check out a popular area called the Bull Pen. Hannah was not feeling well, and we weren't sure how long the hike was. So rather than hike the trail, we just found a spot near the parking area and parked our chairs in the creek. 


It was a peaceful little spot, and Hannah napped and I read a book. We were perfectly content.

But then I got home and saw that a friend of mine had also been at the Bull Pen. And the spot he was at looked nothing like me and Hannah's spot! Much to my chagrin, he informed me it was only a ten minute hike. Ten minutes of walking and we could have been here!


Oh well. Maybe next time. 

P.S. If you are looking for people to follow on Instagram, my friend az_canyon posts some pretty amazing pics.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…