Skip to main content

Waterfall Chasing in New Hampshire

VH1 used to have this “news” show where they would try to determine who was having the “Best Week Ever,” and I feel like I could have been on that show and won for best day ever in New Hampshire. 

I was at Polly’s Pancake Parlor eating gingerbread pancakes by 7 a.m. (It gets light at 4:50 a.m. here, which means I’m up early, and I actually really like that!) I think this place is kind of famous, and it’s well-deserved. 



Then, I was on a mission to see waterfalls. Here’s what I learned about New Hampshire: the mountains are bigger than the Appalachians I gave previously experienced. There’s more exposed rock, more views about tree line... they’re awesome. And the rivers here are like rivers in the Pacific Northwest- waterfalls for days, perfectly clear water, and most of them have places were you’d want to swim. Oh, and that’s another great thing about New Hampshire- these places are FREE (even the state parks) and they don’t have a million restrictions. I could swim or rappel if I wanted, unlike most places out east. I guess New Hampshire was trying to live up to what’s on their license plates- Live Free or Die! By the end of the day, I decided that, if I ever want to leave Utah, I will move to New Hampshire. 

Anyway... waterfalls!

Waterfalls 1 & 2: Pearl and Beecher Cascades 





Waterfall 3: Arethusa Falls
This was my longest and most difficult hike of the day. It wasn’t that difficult (800 feet of elevation in a mile and a half) but most of the people on the trail weren’t hardcore hikers and they all felt like they’d been tricked by whoever recommended this hike to them. It reminded me of that time my friends and I did a canyon that we didn’t know had an R- rating, and we met some other guys at the campground who had done the same one the day before, and one guy was like, “Yeah, that was some bullshit!” So indignantly. Like someone had played a trick on him and he didn’t appreciate it. That was the mood on this trail. But then, most people’s reaction was, “WOW,” when they saw the falls, so I’m guessing they were glad they did it. 



On the return hike, I chatted with a couple from Boston. (I just love the accents out here!) This lady said to me, “I’m 61 years old and just started climbing mountains! Can you believe it!” I said, “Hell yeah!” and told her I was so excited for her. I love stories of people getting out of their comfort zones and trying new things. We also talked a lot about the similarities between Boston and Chicago (I feel like the Red Sox and Cubs have a lot in common, and they agreed) and convinced them that they could visit Chicago without getting shot. 

Waterfall 4: Glen Ellis Falls



I wanted to rappel this waterfall and then swim in the pool underneath it. This was another one where people said, “WOW!” when they saw it for the first time. 





Waterfall 5: Diana’s Baths 

This wasn’t so much a waterfall as it was a natural water park. This is the kind of place I would bring my kids to play. It reminded me of my favorite “kick it” spots on the Umpqua River in Oregon. 








Waterfall 6: Lower Falls

Also not much of a waterfall, but a cool hang-out spot right off the road. 


(Apparently it’s also a good fishing spot)





Waterfall 7: Sabbaday Falls

My favorite!! And I got there in the evening, so I had the place to myself. It looked like a ride at a water park: a few drops to rappel, pools to swim in, and a flume. If it hadn’t been so chilly, I would have gone for a swim. 















I drove back to camp just as it was getting dark and about to rain. 



Some other observations about New England:

 Every town has a Dunkin Donuts, even towns that are too small for a McDonald’s. 

There are a lot of smokers here.

The roads are very confusing. I literally find myself driving in circles and it takes me forever to get anywhere. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…