Skip to main content

Another tattoo

Sarah, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is indecisive.

In a few weeks, our dear friend Rachel will be back in town for her birthday. Me, Nina, Rachel, Sarah, (aka Tripod and Tabletop) and Stephanie will be getting tattoos together. Nina, Rachel, and Steph already know exactly what they want. Sarah wants several tattoos and just can't decide which one she wants the most. I, on the other hand, have no clue what to get.

I already have one on the small of my back. It says "Measure your life in love" in a circle. I got it a year ago and I still love it. But I don't know what else I want now. One idea is the Lutheran symbol. Each part of it represents a part of the Lutheran faith. The meaning of the black cross in the middle is obvious, I hope. Luther says: "The first should be a black cross in a heart, which retains its natural color, so that I myself would be reminded that faith in the Crucified saves us. For one who believes from the heart will be justified" (Rom. 10:10). Although it is indeed a black cross, which mortifies and which should also cause pain, it leaves the heart in its natural color. It does not corrupt nature, that is, it does not kill but keeps alive. 'The just shall live by faith' (Rom. 1:17) but by faith in the crucified." The heart is in the middle of a white rose because faith gives joy, comfort, and peace, better than anything the world can give. The rose is in the middle of a sky-blue field, symbolizing the hope we have for a future in heaven with God. The gold band around it all symbolizes an eternity of blessedness.

So I like this symbol a lot. I have a necklace with this symbol that I used to wear often. But do I really want a tattoo of it? It would be nice to have something that represents my faith. But where would I put it? I don't want to have lots of visible tattoos. And I don't want a color tattoo either, I don't think.

Another idea would be my "life verse." I know a girl who has "Philippians 4:13" tattooed on her foot. My verse would be Galatians 5:6- "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." But again, where would I put that? And do I really want more words? Shouldn't I get a picture this time?

I saw a waitress at Tweet (amazing brunch place, by the way) who had a word tattooed a couple inches above her wrist on her inner arm. I think it said "fierce," but I'm not sure. I was too hungover to pay close attention that morning. I really like the idea though, but what word would I get? And that would be visible, so I'd have to wear long sleeves to cover it up.

Nina says I should get a treble clef on my upper back. This was always my plan in high school and college. But I don't even really sing that much anymore (although I'm hoping to change that soon). But it would be a pretty tattoo.

My other thought was getting a small tattoo of the ring I pretty much never take off. It's a heart that is cracked down the middle and bound back together. I really love the symbolism. But I still don't know where I'd put that one. And do I really want to look at a picture of that all the time?

Maybe I should just get a pretty flower or something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…