Skip to main content

Assassins

So I've basically been in front of my computer all day, doing homework, working on lesson plans, and getting ready for the first day of school. Experts say that you're supposed to do lots of ice breakers and team-building activities with your students so everyone is comfortable with each other and respects each other. And I thought of the perfect game to achieve this in my classroom: Assassins.

We played Assassins senior year at Concordia in my dorm. Everyone was given the name of a person they had to kill. You killed the person by sticking a post-it note on them. When you killed them, they gave you the name of the person they were after, and you were then responsible for killing that person. This goes on and on till there's only one person left.

This game was awesome and hilarious. The only place that was off-limits was the bathroom, I think. I remember hearing about someone getting killed during Dr. Eschelbach's Greek class. It got all crazy with secret alliances and plots and stuff. I remember I had to kill this guy who was super paranoid. I managed to track him down at KCC. I was at Powderpuff practice (I don't remember why we were practicing inside), and he was getting a snack. I walked over all casually and totally surprised him. I got him, but he tried to take off running, claiming that the post-it didn't stick, so it wasn't valid. I got pretty upset... there might have been some inappropriate language used at that time. But he finally gave up. I seem to remember that I killed at least one more person, but I don't remember the circumstances. I don't remember the circumstances of my own death, either.

But I think this would be the perfect getting to know you/team building activity for my class. First of all, it helps you get to know people. I had never met the first guy I had to kill, but all of a sudden I was completely stalking him. Second of all, you totally bond with other people. After the first round or so, when people start to die, everyone starts ganging up on certain people and hatching elaborate plots. So it also encourages creativity.

Unfortunately, I don't think this game would be considered appropriate for school. I'm going to have to do some creative thinking about how I can make this work.

Comments

Miss Katharine said…
I heard about this at a gaming conference I attended. Another option might be the game Cruel 2 B Kind -- it could be a schoolwide thing or even something yu arrange with the school to get involved with on a weekend. there are details at their website: http://www.cruelgame.com/. I actually think it's something that would be awesomely cool to do with a group of adults in the City; maybe during Christkindlfest or something...

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…