Skip to main content

Daytona Beach

We went to the beach or springs almost every day. We hung out with my fabulous cousin Amber a few times and met one of her more interesting friends. My uncle cooked delicious food for us.

Probably the most interesting part of Florida was Saturday night. We went out to a bar with Amber and her boyfriend. When we got home we weren't drunk, but we didn't feel like going to bed. So we decided to make guacamole from the ingredients we'd gotten that morning at the farmer's market.

It was delicious. We then stepped out onto the screened-in porch to have a cigarette. (Yes, I smoked on vacation, but don't worry, I'm not buying another pack.) By the this time, it was a little after 3 a.m. When we finished, Nina went to pull open the sliding door, and nothing happened. We were locked out, through no fault of our own. Apparently that door has a tricky lock that will sometimes lock by itself when you close it. Nina immediately collapsed on the floor, laughing hysterically. We weren't sure what to do. The locksmith we called sounded super creepy, and we didn't want to pay $45. My cousin goes running really early on Sunday mornings near my grandma's house (where we were staying), so my uncle drops him off, then hangs out there till he has to pick him up. So we decided to just wait it out for 3 hours.

So we were stuck outside with nothing but Nina's purse. I was wearing the kind-of-dressy top I'd worn out that night, capri sweatpants, and heels. Nina was wearing a t-shirt and boxers with no bra. Despite our attire, we decided to walk to Krispy Kreme. What else were we going to do for 3 hours? As soon as we got near the main road, cars started honking at us. Then the guy at Krispy Kreme was hitting on Nina, so we couldn't stay there. We decided to go to Steak and Shake across the street, but some of their male employees were standing out in the parking lot yelling at us, so we headed home. As we walked, a someone from a car yelled, "F-ing whores!" Another person threw a lit cigarette at us that almost hit Nina. It was quite a traumatic experience. And we just can't figure out what we did to warrant those comments. Did we really look like whores? Then I thought of this post from Stuff White People Like and decided this was a good experience for me because I could empathize with refugees in the future.

When we got back to the house, I remembered that I have OnStar, so we could at least get into the car. And it's there that we fell asleep, not even noticing when my uncle arrived. He must have thought we were such crackheads; he didn't wake us up because he thought it was intentional. He said, "You were sleeping so peacefully; I didn't want to wake you." Anyway, we got back into the house at 7:15 that morning.

And that's about all there is to say about Florida.

Comments

Sarah said…
I wish I could lick the screen and taste that guac!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…