Skip to main content

I'm so trendy...

I spend a lot of time feeling un-trendy. This is partly due to where I live. (Seriously, what am I doing in the Arts District?) But lately I have come to realize a few ways in which I was oh-so-close to being trendy.

1. I've been a vegetarian since I was 2. Now, a lot of my friends are becoming vegetarian as well. And now I'm not trendy anymore, because when people ask why I became a vegetarian, I can't say, "Well, I started considering the environmental aspect of eating meat and realized it was better for the Earth..."

2. When I was pregnant, Ross and Marilyn asked what I would name the baby. I told them he wouldn't be mine, so it was entirely up to them. But they persisted until I told them I loved the name Jacob. I didn't know it was a popular name; I just loved it. After they named him that, I discovered it was like, the most popular name that year. Sorry, Jacob.

3. Over the past few years, I've thought of other baby names I like. It's not like I sit around agonizing over what I will name my child; I just kind of think of things. I fell in love with the name Ella a long time ago. I think Jacob might have been an Ella if he was a girl. Then I thought of Ethan for a boy, and I thought how cute it was to have "E" names. (I know, it makes most people want to throw up.) Then I saw/read Pride and Prejudice and thought that Elizabeth Bennett was one of the coolest fictional characters ever. So I decided I would have Ella, Ethan, and Elizabeth. Then I started meeting lots of toddlers named Ethan and Ella and realized how popular those names have become. Darn. I should have started having kids sooner; now I will look like a copycat if I use those names.

4. For several years now, I've wanted to have a really cool first dance at my wedding reception. I found those videos on YouTube, and while I knew it wasn't original, I knew it wasn't widely done. Now, TLC has that show called "Rock the Reception." (Did anyone see the episode the other night with the Marine and the girl with breast cancer? Made me want to cry. That's true love.) So now everyone will be doing the crazy first dance, and if I do it, it will be totally un-orginal.

I come so close to being trendy, but never attain it. Good thing it's not really that important to me.

Comments

Sarah said…
Oh Erin, I think you are super cool. But I have to say I HATE trendy baby names! If I hear one more person name their little girl "Ella" I will, in fact, spit.
RJTrue said…
I think you're super awesome!! Miss you girl!

But I totally get what you mean in this post!!! We're cool anyway though.

Let's get some vegetarian pizza like old times -- before it was the thing to do!!!
LiteralDan said…
So you must just be the clone of whoever is setting all these trends. You were obviously cloned about two years after the original, so you are that much behind them.

You might as well have fun with this power, and really jump out ahead of the curve. Just start thinking up a bunch of weird things to do or say and see which of them stick. You've got to beat your doppelganger sooner or later.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…