Skip to main content

Psalm 119

I try to read my Bible daily. I go through periods where I read every day, and periods where I don't read for weeks. Unfortunately, the latter is more common. But right now, I'm reading daily, which feels good.

The past few nights I've been reading Psalm 119. There's lots of good stuff in there, like verse 125: "Give me discernment that I may understand your statutes." I think discernment is something I should pray for more often.

But what really stood out to me was all the talk about loving God's commands:
v127: "Because I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold, and because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path."
v129: "Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them."
v143: "Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands are my delight."

I started to wonder if I really love God's commands. Do I obey them because I love God and delight in what He tells me to do, or do I obey them because they're convenient, or because I think they're the right thing to do anyway? I mean, I think killing (including the death penalty) is wrong, but I would think that regardless of God's view on the topic. So that's a really easy commandment for me to keep.

Or all the stuff about serving the poor? James 1:27 says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." So God wants me to help the helpless. I do this to some extent (not nearly as much as I should, I want to make that clear), but why I am I doing it? Obedience to God's word? Or because I'm a big softy who can't say no and thinks it's the right thing to do?

Here's kind of an opposite example. That verse in James talked about not being polluted by the world. And there are lots of other similar things the Bible tells us to do that are extremely inconvenient, like the things Shane Claiborne does in The Irresistible Revolution. I'm not doing most of those things.

Or when God tells says that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Well, if I really think that, I should be taking much better care of myself, right? Working out more, dieting more, taking my vitamins...

I don't want this to turn into me pointing out all my flaws (because goodness knows, that would take a long time). I'm just wondering, do I really delight in God's commandments? I don't think I do. So what can I do to change my attitude to that of the psalmist? I wish I did love God's commands more than gold. I want to get there. I'm just not sure how.

Comments

Sarah said…
I don't think you should doubt your love for God's commands because you carry them out of your own inclination, rather than a sense of obedience. God has given you free will. That you are doing those things on your own does not lessen how God will bless you through those things. That's just my take.
Anonymous said…
Another important thing to remember is that God's statutes, God's laws, encompass more than just the famous ten. It means all of God's words. And the good inclinations that you do follow through on are all gifts from God.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…