Skip to main content

Faith

My faith is still a mess. I'm still reading my Bible every day. I'm halfway through 1 Samuel, and I'm not liking what I read. There is just so much violence, and it seems like most of it is ordered by God. I can almost understand why He'd want to wipe out evil civilizations (like the ones that practice human sacrifice), but it seems like He always demands that they kill all the babies and animals, too. Killing babies is not okay. I got especially upset during Judges. Chapter 19, the Levite and his concubine, was pretty upsetting. (They're staying in an evil city, and a mob comes to the door wanting to rape the Levite, so they throw his concubine out there and she's raped and killed.) I wanted to throw my Bible at the wall when I got to Judges 11:29-40. Jephthah tells God that if he wins a battle, "whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." And it's his daughter. So he gives her two months to "roam the hills and weep with (her) friends," and then he "did to her as he had vowed." My friend Whitney found an explanation of this, saying that the girl was like a living sacrifice; her life was dedicated to God, so she was sent away and would never marry. But, it specifically says burnt offering. That crosses a huge line for me. I can't be on board with a god who's okay with human sacrifice. You would think God would just intervene and tell Jephthah not to do it. (It seems like in the Old Testament, God talks to people all the time.

So besides all the violence, which is beyond disturbing, there's also the lack of mercy on God's part. If you messed up, that was it; no second chances. For example, last night I was reading about Saul. God told him to attack these people and kill every man, woman, child, and animal. Saul didn't quite follow directions; he kept some of the good animals. God was angry, but Saul was sorry and asked for forgiveness. But God "rejected" him.

There are lots of implications to all this. People seem to think we should just go by God's character in the New Testament, but God doesn't change, right? I can't imagine that His character would change so drastically over time. I am not a great person; I make mistakes all the time. There have been times when I knew what God expected of me, but I made the wrong choice over and over. Reading the Old Testament makes me think that God has probably just given up on me. When I first started having faith issues, I felt like God was indifferent to me. Now, I think He actively dislikes me. Because I'm a lot worse than those Israelites.

What really creeps me out is that I can actually understand that crazy Pat Robertson's point of view. Whenever there's a natural disaster, he says it's because the people there were evil. I just can't believe that would be true, but that kind of thing would be consistent with this God of the Old Testament.

I know I'm not the first one to struggle with all the violence in the Old Testament, but I haven't heard any explanations yet that make this okay. We can't just read the New Testament and act like the Old Testament never happened. So, in summary, I'm going to keep reading, but I'm still a mess.

Comments

Sarah said…
I can see how after reading that you would see where Pat Robertson is coming from. I don't agree specifically with statements about disasters in specific locations being specifically targeted towards those people for specific actions. But I do believe that much of the strife we suffer, i.e. natural disasters and the like, are because our whole world is full of sin and evil.

I think you need to sit down with your pastor, or someone else knowledgeable, and talk about this. The Old Testament is scary shit, and while I admire your discipline, I don't want to see it coming between you and your relationship with God.
Fab Free Fun said…
Jacob would be a fabulous person to talk to because he is a)knowledgeable and b) he is calm and his tone and the way he words things are great. I am sure if you talk with him, he would meet up and chat with you?!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…