Skip to main content

Edwin

During my first year teaching in Calumet City, I was part of a disturbing conversation at lunchtime. My coworkers were all sharing stories of former students who had died or gone to prison. I realized it was inevitible that I would someday have stories like this to share as well, but I hoped it wouldn't be for a long time.

That time finally came on Friday, when I found out that one of my very favorite students from last year died on Thursday.

At the beginning of the year, I thought, "There is no way I'm going to make it through a whole year with this kid." Edwin was defiant, disrespectful- a classroom management nightmare. But our team all shared the philosophy of not giving up on kids, and so we persisted with Edwin. Especially Lanette, the writing teacher. And all of a sudden, it was like someone flipped a switch in him and he became such a sweetheart. He was in my room every day before school, and I'd make sure he had everything he needed to get through the day. By the end of the year, he and his buddies were in my room in between classes, too, and I'd have to shoo them out so they wouldn't be late. Sometimes, he'd even pretend to hide in my room so he could stay there and not go to his next class. He loved stickers. Deep down, he really was a little boy.

But his home life was not easy. He had an older brother who was just rotten and tried to influence Edwin. We knew that Edwin was up to no good at home and had several meetings with his mom, a sweet lady who had immigrated here from El Salvador and worked two jobs (one of which was clearning houses) to support her boys. She didn't know what to do with the boys; they were out of control. We did the best we could at school, but that's one of the hardest parts of being a teacher- you only have control over a student for 7 hours a day. At one conference, I told Edwin I had so many good things to say about him. I started talking, and his brother started translating for his mom. Edwin had to stop me and said, "My brother is lying and making stuff up. No teacher has ever said good stuff about me before. Can you go get another translator, please?" I seriously wanted to punch his brother in the face.

After graduation, I became friends with many of my students on Facebook, including Edwin. His posts concerned me; he was obviously partying a lot and making bad choices. Last week, he and a friend apparently decided to ditch school and break into a public pool and drink. Edwin drowned. Here's the news story.

My heart is breaking for his family, especially his sweet mother, and his friends. And I am so angry at him for making a stupid choice.

One last memory to share of Edwin: he dated another girl on our team for a while (also one of my secret "favorites"). She was telling me how wonderful he was and said that he was her Edward (from Twilight). My coworkers and I laughed and laughed about this, but I thought it was adorable that she felt that way about him. He really was a sweet boy who just wasn't strong enough to fight off all the negative influences around him. He will be missed by many, many people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…