Skip to main content

Thank you

When I left Chicago, I was convinced I’d never find a small group as special and amazing as the one I had here. I loved being a part of this group of girls who were all close to my age and at the same place in life. I loved being an Incubator.

But when I was finished incubating, I ended up in Phoenix and found myself attending a Mennonite church. Who would’ve thought? I was eager to join a small group, hoping that would help me get to know some people in the congregation. I had no idea how these women would change my life.

Amanda and I instantly connected because she’s close to my age. We went out one Friday night to Pita Jungle and then made mosaics at a craft place, and I totally fell in love with her. We just had so much in common! To be honest, when I met the other ladies, I wondered what I’d have in common with them. Denise and Ellen are close to my mom’s age, and Jodi and Sheri have kids in high school. I was afraid I’d feel all awkward and we’d have nothing to talk about. I was so wrong.

I learned so much from these ladies in my time there. There is such a wealth of wisdom in this group! They are warm, loving, generous, non-pretentious, non-judgmental, insightful, hilarious followers of Jesus. You can tell by the way they live that their faith is real. I remember one time there was a conversation about people who just seem to radiate the love of Christ. A few of the ladies expressed longing to be like that, and I thought, “You’re crazy! You already are!” All five women truly do have this quality. That peace that passes all understanding is present in each of them, and it spills over into every aspect of their lives.

I quickly realized I could be real with this group; I didn’t have to pretend to be some super spiritual person. I wanted to be honest with my struggles and uncertainties and all the unpleasant stuff, because I could learn and grow from the advice they’d share. One of the most difficult parts of leaving Phoenix was leaving these women. I felt like I was just settling in and really getting to know them well when I had to leave. They had a lovely goodbye dinner for me just before I left, and as I drove home, I seriously questioned my decision to leave. Here we are at that dinner:


It’s no secret that moving home has been a struggle for me. Work has been especially difficult. Last Monday, I came back to my classroom during 3rd hour and found this beautiful bouquet of flowers on my desk. The card said, “Smile! We love you!” and was from my amazing small group. I almost burst into tears. No one’s ever sent me flowers before. It’s so extravagant!

The rest of the day was kind of funny- both principals popped in to make sure they hadn’t missed some major event in my life, and several of my (nice) coworkers stopped by to ask about the flowers. They were such a great conversation starter! And actually, everyone now knows that I’m a Christian, because I said that they were from my Bible study group. All week they sat on my desk, reminding me that I am loved, and that it doesn’t matter what my coworkers think of me. I had a meeting that I was absolutely dreading on Friday, and looking at the flowers helped me to take a deep breath and calm down.

I brought the flowers home on Friday so I could continue to admire them all weekend. When I got home, there was a big box waiting for me in front of my bedroom door. I couldn’t believe it- a care package from my small group! They are ridiculous! That’s just so much awesomeness all in one week!


The package contained all kinds of goodies, including things to keep me warm, some emergency camping supplies (I’d like to know who the smart aleck is who thought to include those items), lotion, an adorable notepad, a cute mug, a beautiful Arizona calendar that makes me long for the desert, and one of my very favorite books by Max Lucado called “You Are Special.” It’s a children’s book by Max Lucado about this little wooden person who needs to be reminded that he is loved. His Maker tells him, “You are special because I made you. And I don’t make mistakes.” I haven’t read that book in a while, and that was exactly what I needed to hear. How did they know? The best part was a note from Jodi and several sheets of gold stars. If you’ve read the book, you understand the significance.


Thank you, ladies. I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…