Skip to main content

Crafternoon

Nancy and I had so much fun on Saturday, I could hardly stand it.  

We began with brunch at the Flying Saucer, a neighborhood restaurant I've been wanting to try for quite a while.  The challah French toast was divine, and it will be dangerous to have a place in such close proximity that serves Vosges hot chocolate.  

We took the long way back to my place and I showed Nancy some of my favorite neighborhood spots.  She's come a long way, considering she wouldn't even come to my neighborhood last January!  She's much more observant than I am, so she noticed all kinds of fun things, like a really sweet tree house in someone's yard.  I was also excited to show her my very favorite spot in the city, which I think she appreciated just as much as me.  

(This is not the spot, just a picture of how pretty my street looks right now.)

It was then time to head to Joann's (the weekend before Halloween weekend- yikes!) to stock up on supplies.  We sounded like complete crackheads... I'm glad no transcripts exist of this outing.  After spending way too much time in the jewelry section, we suddenly walked by the button aisle and were like, "OMG, buttons!  That's what we need!!" (We were having trouble finding centers for our flowers.)  Buttons make me happy.  Really really happy.  They remind me of the button jar my grandma used to have.  

Finally, it was time to get to work.  We were skeptical that our wreaths would look anything like the tutorial from Tatertots and Jello:


There was a lot of giggling and silliness as we crafted.  (That's how it always is with Nancy.)  We watched The Princess Bride and Predator, since she had never seen either.  Also, I enjoyed the dichotomy of making felt flowers while watching people get brutally murdered by Predator.  We snacked on pretzel M&Ms, candy corn, and orange slices, and the activity took so long we ended up ordering dinner from Pizza Hut.  (We have special, happy memories of a Pizza Hut in Nebraska...)

Our finished products did not look like the tutorial, but I'm happy with how they turned out:


We only made one type of flower, because it was so easy and we were so successful at it, we decided to keep things simple.  We couldn't believe how easy the whole thing was.  We decided that the day was so fabulous, we are going to have another Crafternoon next month and watch Magic Mike while crafting.  

I am so excited for it to be Christmas time so I can display my wreath!  It's going to look so classy on top of the "F*** you p***y" on my front door...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…