Skip to main content

Superhot Triathlete Neighbor

We met when I stole his copy of Outside Magazine.  It was laying on the floor by the mailboxes, and I assumed it was for me.  Rich Rudow (canyoneering hero!) was on the cover.  When I picked it up, I did see that it wasn't for me, but canyoneering is an addiction, and addicts will do anything for a fix.  So I figured I'd just borrow the magazine and put it back later, and he'd never know it was gone.  

A few days later, I ran into a ridiculously super hot guy by the mailboxes.  He introduced himself, and I was like, "Oh, I have your magazine!"  I retrieved the magazine, explaining that I thought it was for me.  "I do this," I said, flipping to one of the canyoneering pictures.  

"Really???"  He wanted to know more.  And I am always eager to talk about canyoneering.  We had a lengthy conversation. 

I've run into him a few times since then.  He always asks about the canyoneering and wanted to hear all about my trip this summer.  One time, I ran into him on my way out for a run.  "You run?"  he asked.  "We should go for a run together."

"Well, I JUST started..." I said.  "I'm super slow and can't go far."

"Oh, don't worry about that!" he insisted.  "I did the triathlon this weekend, and I really need to work on pacing myself during the run.  If you're new to running, you could help me with that."

"Um, I don't think you understand... I really can't run for long..."

"No, it's fine!  Even if it's just like, 10 minutes at a time, I don't mind." 

Oh boy.  10 minutes?  My goal for that day was 5 minute intervals, and I was terrified I wouldn't be able to do it.  

I can't remember what I said, but I politely blew him off.  Haven't seen much of him since.  

Then, the other day, in a moment of insanity/runner's high, I had the idea that I should put a note on his door that said, "I'm up to 4 miles.  Let's run." with my phone number.  And I actually did it, yesterday morning.  

This afternoon I ran into him by the mailboxes.  Since he hadn't texted me, I assumed he wasn't interested.  

I think I assumed wrong.  

If he wasn't interested, I think he would've been in a hurry.  But he lingered, wanting to hear all about the running I've been doing, talking about the 5k it took him 23 whole minutes to do because he's been bad about running lately, so it would be great for us to run together and get him back on track.  

And during this whole conversation, I am freaking out in my head.  Because:

1.  I look AWFUL today.  I forgot to put in my hoop earrings this morning and felt like it was an omen for how the day would go.  And it was.  It was a terrible day, and I was so tired, and my principal even said, "Wow, you look TIRED!  I've never seen Erin tired before!!" which is really like saying, "You look terrible today!  No amount of makeup can disguise those puffy eyes!"  And my hair was just in a blah ponytail, and I even thought as I parked my car, "Please don't let me run into Superhot Triathlete Neighbor," so of course I did.

2.  23 minutes is a slow 5k for him?  It takes me almost twice that time.  Nope, nevermind, don't want to run with him.  

3. Every time I see him, I'm like, "OMG, I forgot he was SO superhot," and start thinking about how he's out of my league and what am I doing???  (When Nancy was here on Saturday, we saw him getting out of his car, and she can confirm his superhotness, even from a distance.)  

Luckily, it sounds like it would be difficult to coordinate our schedules; he coaches swimming at night when I run.  He's on his way out when I'm on my way in.  Oh, darn.  

I'm not saying I never want to run with him, I'm just saying I think I need more time to get a little better.  I'm nervous enough about running with Joe in this 5k!  

I do hope I see Superhot Triathlete Neighbor soon.  He would be a good distraction from the other guy I can't stop thinking about...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…