Skip to main content

This Week

I don't really have a cohesive post to write, but here's what's new...

I was supposed to have a date on Friday that was probably a bad idea (but that I still wanted anyway).  Not surprisingly, it didn't happen.  So, Whitney and I enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Prasino, followed by cookies at Alliance Bakery.


(My cookie after I bit off his arm.)

The evening concluded with a long phone conversation with Jason.  We have a lot in common right now, but we are like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles.  

I got a new coat from REI on Saturday.  It's so fancy, I can't even figure out what all the stuff on it is.  I should be nice and toasty at Freeze Fest.  My dad also found me a heater to use, which the reviews all say keeps things a little *too* warm.  Everyone's gonna want to sleep in my Subaru with me... :)

I also had pie with Joe on Saturday, and ran for over an hour that night.  We are not going to talk about my pace.  But it felt good to know I could run for that long.

When I told my mom, she was impressed.  "You know, you're not a natural athlete.  You're just not built for it.  Good thing you're going slow... Be careful you don't hurt yourself!"  She actually meant this as a compliment, because God knows what she said is true.  I wasn't a fat kid or anything, just super awkward and slow, but I'd still try to stay home from school on days when we had gym.  This is why, as my friends know, I love manatees- I can relate to them.  They are big and slow and always get taken advantage of. 

Sunday was wonderful because I got to see my beloved Paula.  She was in Wisconsin for her brother's wedding.  We only had a few hours together, and I literally cried on her shoulder.  (Which is actually kind of funny, because in the 12 years that we've known each other, and all the stuff we've been through together, she has never see me cry.)  Seeing Paula meant that I also got to love on her twins.


(This is Maggie.  She is my secret favorite because she has Paula's personality.)

Tuesday night was small group, and it was pretty awesome.  I can't even describe how much I love these girls.  We had a great conversation, and I'm really excited about the new girls in our group.  

I came home to see "binders full of women" all over Facebook.  Without getting too into politics, I do have to comment on it... I think it's a little unfair how everyone jumped all over that specific comment, because I think it was well-intentioned.  What really scares me is that this is even an issue.  Why are women's rights one of the huge issues in this election?  Why are we, as a nation, even having this conversation?  Didn't our mothers' generation fight this fight for us a long time ago???  It scares me that we are moving backwards.

Wednesday night was choir, and singing Bach just makes me happy.  Sometimes it's like, you don't even have to think about it, because Bach knew exactly what would just naturally fall out of your mouth.  

I have a Skype date with Amanda in a little while.  I'm excited to see her face.

I am currently having a fight with Jason on Facebook about running.  He refuses to see my logic.

I'm excited for Saturday, because Fancy Nancy is coming to the city, and we are brunching and crafting.  

And that is my life at this moment.  

Comments

Whitney said…
There are lots of things to comment on in there...first, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder? In the sense of being blind, right?

Glad you got to see Paula, and it sounds like it was probably better that I wasn't there this time...

A couple of things on "binders full of women" - I find it hilarious, and I think the reason people jumped on it is because many of us feel that Romney's platform and stance on women's issues is so atrociously anti-woman that his feeble attempt to claim high-mindedness fell flat. Some of it is just silly fun at his expense, but there is a deeper issue behind it. And the fact check I read about his "request" for women candidates said that the effort to put together the binder was started before he got into office by a women's group and was actively pushed out...so great that he implemented something already in motion instead of killing it, but it also wasn't exactly heroic and forward-thinking on his part.

As to why women's issues are on the table...well, I guess that's probably complicated. But I bear in mind that rights have to be claimed and fought for, they are not given and if not exercised may be taken away. I know you don't consider yourself a feminist (though I might disagree...), but you probably do take some of the hard-fought things of the past few decades for granted - and not just you, but I think we all do. In just about every society in the world, women have an uphill battle for rights, and the US unfortunately has a lot of traditional, patriarchal forces at play...

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…