Skip to main content

Alameda

I have been to California a handful of times now, but it still seems so exotic to me. Of course, the Sierra Nevada's are just unbelievable. But I also think the cities are just so glamorous. Midwestern cities just do not compare.

I had so much fun spending the 4th in Alameda. The day began with dying Lucie the dog's mohawk red, white, and blue. (And by dyeing, I mean Emma used Mr. Sketch markers.) Lucie was a hit at the parade, which somehow managed to feel like a small town event despite its proximity to big cities. Highlights:

Beth waved at all the politicians that went by. They all waved back and yelled, "Hi, Beth!" She knows everyone. It's so funny.

Every float that was Pride themed or had a rainbow on it got cheers and a standing ovation. When the NRA float went by, everyone sat down and glared.

After the parade, we walked down to the beach. (Beth lives right on the bay. It's so amazing to walk out her door and smell the ocean.) Bernie asked for a picture of us lovely ladies in our bikinis. The picture below is what he got. (Beth had some issues with her umbrella...)

For dinner, Beth grilled steaks and sweet corn. There was so much good food!

We tried to find fireworks and failed, but no big deal, we were tired anyway.

Beth made delicious waffles from scratch the next morning, and then I went bike shopping with her in Berkeley. It was cool to see such an interesting and historic area. That town definitely has a unique culture! We walked around Telegraph Ave and looked in some shops, then had lunch at a restaurant that had the most brilliant idea ever. Their menu consists of a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. And they were cheap! And so good!! And then, to top it off, across the street is a place called C.R.E.A.M., which makes to-die-for cookies and ice cre and you choose one of each and get an ice cream sandwich for just $2. Brilliant. I had the turtle cookies with French Vanilla ice cream. Heaven.

When we got back to Alameda, Beth insisted on treating me to a mani/pedi. SO sweet of her. She was just way too nice to me... I'm going to get her back when she's not expecting it...

We had a wonderful conversation at dinner, then concluded the evening with a viewing of the documentary "Rivers and Tides," which is about this artist who creates things in nature knowing they will be temporary. For example, one piece he did was all icicles. It was so interesting!

I was sad to leave these lovely people. I felt so welcomed and comfortable in their home. I told them they need to stop being so nice or I'm going to start showing up all the time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…