Skip to main content

Mono Pass

I am here at Yosemite, and I never want to leave. The high Sierra's are incomparable. There is nowhere else I'd rather be. Part of me wishes I'd gotten here sooner, but I have no regrets over the detours I made.

I got here the Saturday of 4th of July weekend and still managed to find a campsite. Even more miraculous, this campground is only $10/night. It is just down the road from Tuolumne Meadows, my favorite part of Yosemite. The Valley is too hot and crowded. Up here, most of the people are backpackers, and temperatures are in the 70's with lows in the upper 40's. And the scenery is spectacular- it's all lakes and meadows and wildflowers and these rock domes that are just begging to be climbed.

Today I did a 7.5 mile hike to Mono Pass, elevation 10,599 feet. The whole first half was ascending, and my lungs were burning. I told myself it was because I'm not used to the elevation, but let's be honest, I am not in great shape. Most of my summer has consisted of sight-seeing.

But Yosemite does not allow laziness. I powered through this hike and will hike another 7 miles tomorrow. There is just so much to see here!

When I returned to my campsite tonight, I busied myself with the important task of arranging some of the stickers I've bought over the years on my back window. (This is what I love about camping: tonight's agenda was 1. Put stickers on car 2. Read a book. It's a nice slower pace of life.) A few minutes later, a guy pulled up in the campsite next to mine. He came over and introduced himself and informed me that a bear had been about 20 feet from my campsite no more than 10 minutes before I got there.

I think I would've preferred not knowing this. And I definitely could have done without seeing the picture he took.

So tonight, I am trying to stay calm as I get ready for bed. I took a Xanax. I'm listening to Bon Iver. I am trying to think of the lakes I'm hiking to tomorrow. And my bear spray is within arm's reach. The bear didn't find anything interesting here, so why would it come back? Nothing to worry about.

Video on Mono Pass:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Key82C6wEdI





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…