Skip to main content

Hetch Hetchy

This morning I did a pretty little 2 mile hike to Luken Lake. I sat by the lake and listened to Joyce Meyer and reflected on how often I let fear take things away from me.

Then I drove out to Hetch Hetchy, part of the park I've never seen. It was pretty, but it made me sad. It used to be a valley, like Yosemite Valley. The huge rock walls look very similar. However, after the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, there was a water shortage and they decided to dam the Tuolumne River and use the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir as a water supply and for energy. John Muir fought against this and lost. Many people believe this defeat led to his declining health and death.

I enjoyed seeing the reservoir, but I just kept imagining what it used to be. I did a 5.5 mile hike to Wapama Falls, which were pretty, but probably not worth it since it was SO hot. And it seemed vastly unfair to be surrounded by water but unable to go swimming.

I encountered several NPS workers along the trail. I mentioned this to one of them, and he said, "Well, sure you can go swimming... You just have to know the right spot." He pointed out that we were out of sight of the docks, so no one would see me. I thought about going for a dip, but at that point, it would've required a lot of climbing down and then back up, and I was so hot and running out of water. I just wanted to get back.

On my way back, I encountered another NPS worker who seemed like he really wanted to chat. He took his break and sat with me in the shade and told me bear stories and recommended backpacking spots. He said his crew would be in one spot for the rest of the month and I should come hang out.

I was dirty and sweaty and thirsty and exhausted when I finished. All I wanted was a shower. Lucky for me, as I was driving through the national forest I passed a river, and no one was around. I found the perfect little spot to bathe. And, since I was at a lower elevation, the water wasn't freezing. This will be my new bathing spot at Yosemite. I really love this whole bathing in rivers thing. I wish I could do it all the time.

Tonight I had three things on my agenda: 1. Do my nails 2. Write some postcards 3. Read a book

But then Travis (the guy two doors down) went over to the site next to mine and started talking to the two German guys there. I worked up my nerve and asked if I could join the party, and they were all super nice. The Germans are in the middle of traveling around the world, and they are both physicists! Travis is doing the same kind of thing I've been doing. The conversation was great, and eventually the Germans said they were going to go find a spot to look at the stars and invited us to join them. We drove over to Tenaya lake, because the lake is so big you get a huge view of the sky. Oh my holy, the stars were amazing. You could see the Milky Way, and if you watched long enough, shooting stars. We just laid there silently for a while, enjoying the moment.

As I go to bed tonight, I'm not even worried bears because now I have friends sleeping around me. I'm so glad I went and talked to those guys!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…