Skip to main content

Glacier Point

Swimming always saves the day.

I got up early today and set off to hike to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome. On the way, my phone suddenly started receiving emails.

I had Internet access again. I hadn't for over a day.

That's not long, but suddenly it became urgent that I pull over and check all these emails and Facebook and the blogs I read. I do not want to share how much time I wasted in that parking lot.

So much for an early start.

Just past the Taft/Sentinel trailhead is Glacier Point, so I stopped to see that. I love that there are still things that can take my breath away. This sight was so perfect, it didn't seem real.

After enjoying the beauty and enduring the crowd that came with it, I was ready to hit the trail. My feet, however, were not. As soon as I put on my hiking shoes, I knew hiking was out of the question due to some blisters I'd gotten a few days ago.

I was so mad at myself. It was already 2:00 and I'd done pretty much nothing besides waste gas.

But the day could still be redeemed. I found a nice quiet spot on the Merced River and went for a swim. The rocks were perfect for lounging, and I had a Diet Coke and the book I'm reading (127 Hours). I really couldn't ask for anything more. I finally relaxed and was actually grateful that I wasn't getting cell reception anymore. It makes things simpler.

A few hours later, I was in a much better mood and ready to take on Yosemite Valley. I wanted to go see a movie there tonight, not to mention see the sights, but it's always such a cluster***.

This time wasn't as bad as last summer, however, and I was once again awed by the sights. I can't get over how tall Yosemite Falls is, or how massive El Capitan is. I stopped to look for climbers on its walls. They look like tiny bugs up there.

The movie ended up not being a movie, but a PowerPoint presentation about Search and Rescue at Yosemite. SO interesting, but now I am SUPER paranoid! They actually showed a video of a guy getting swept away in a river! I definitely started feeling stupid for swimming everywhere without telling anyone. However, I am VERY careful, especially since I'm alone. They also talked about how they find people, and what you should do if you're lost, and they shared several stories about climbing rescues on El Capitan. The audience was riveted. I am amazed at what SAR does and have a special love for them since they came to save me and Kristin in the Black Hole.

After the presentation, I was feeling a little homesick and missing my parents, so I called home. And my mom asked what I was missing, and that's what's weird- I really am homeless right now. I have nowhere to go home to. It made me kind of sad, and not in the mood to camp.

But as I pulled up to my campsite, who should I see but the Germans! They decided to stay another night. I feel so much more comfortable knowing I have friends sleeping nearby. I love how, sometimes, God gives you exactly what you need in the moment. No more, no less. Joyce Meyer says, "God's never late. But he's not always early, either." Kind of the same thing...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…