Skip to main content

Family Fun: Cottonwood Narrows


The next day was the day I was most excited about. We had to drive from Bryce to Page, and I asked my dad if he trust me to plan the day. I agonized over which dirt road to take- Skutumpah or Cottonwood Canyon? I finally decided that Cottonwood had more to offer.

We began at Kodachrome Basin State Park, which is basically a valley of dildos. The rock formations are actually obscene. This place is just begging for dirty jokes, but I hadn’t anticipated how awkward that would be around my parents…



We stopped to see Grosvenor Arch


and then continued on to the trailhead for the Cottonwood Narrows.  This was by far the most fun part of the trip. I got to show my parents a slot canyon!

Mom and Dave were SO excited, and even Dad seemed impressed. It was different hiking with them because Mom and Dave stopped to notice every little detail. They know a lot about geology, which meant they knew what they were looking at and how it had formed. They were collecting rock specimens as they hiked, which meant it took us a LONG time to get through the narrows section. By the time we were done there, the novelty had worn off for Dad and he was ready to get out of the canyon. Unfortunately, we still had another 1.5 miles of soft sand to walk through. He was not happy.








Finally, we came to the exit. I felt so stupid when I realized we could've just done a car shuttle. I suggested that my parents and Dave find a nice place to sit while I hiked 1.5 miles uphill back to the cars, but they wouldn't hear of it. They wanted to finish what they'd started.

Dad and Dave took off up the hill, but Mom was struggling. I couldn't figure out why... I mean, she has bursitis, but she's in pretty good shape. When we finally arrived back at the cars, it all made sense. She was wearing 5 LAYERS (it was pretty cold when we started hiking) and had been stashing rocks in the pockets of all her jackets. It's like she was hiking uphill with weights!

Now that it's all said and done, my mom cannot stop talking about this hike. She refers to Cottonwood Canyon as "our canyon," which feels true because we had the whole place to ourselves. She even found a book about the canyon that she's been proudly showing to all of her piano kids (some of whom didn't even know what a canyon was).

We switched driving partners that day, so Dad rode with me. It was so peaceful, driving on deserted dirt roads in the desert, just me and my dad. We listened to the Avett Brothers, and I got a little misty eyed when we heard Murder in the City: "Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name."

The day went by way too quickly. We had dinner at my new favorite restaurant in Page, Bonkers. We would head back to Phoenix the next day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…