Skip to main content

Family Fun: Phoenix

We spent the last two days of vacation in Phoenix. On Thursday, Dad and Dave headed over to Mesa to check out the new Cubs stadium while Mom and I shopped at SAS fabric by the pound and enjoyed lunch at LGO. On our way there, one of her students texted her and said, "If you're in Phoenix, you should go to LGO!" Perfect timing.

That night we went to Denise and Brian's for dinner and were joined by Amanda and Bella. I was so excited and a little nervous for my parents to meet my Phoenix family. Everyone got along great. But of course they did; they are all my favorite people for a reason. :)


Friday was Ikea day! My apartment needed some minor improvements, and my dad loves to fix stuff. So we made a trip to Ikea, and it was just like being in college again. I threw a bunch of stuff in the cart, and when I went to separate my stuff from what my dad said he'd buy, he said, "Don't worry about it." I love dads.

I figured they'd need a drink after putting up with me shopping, so we stopped at Four Peaks for lunch on the way home. The Kilt Lifter was a hit.

My apartment looks SO much better after my dad and Dave worked on it! I now have pretty shelves taking up the awkward space in the kitchen.



 I have a new TV stand. (Still need to find something to put on the shelves.)



And I have curtains to hide my closet. (There are no doors on it.)


We ended the day with dinner at Welcome Diner, my favorite restaurant of the moment. I'm obsessed with their Old Fashioned. (It's made with Four Roses bourbon.) We said goodbye after dinner, and it was so hard. My mom always texts me five minutes after they leave or I leave- "I am sad." And I am, too. I told her I was sorry I couldn't be happy in Chicago, and she said I should never apologize for doing what I love. I really hate living far away from my parents, but I guess the good thing is that we really enjoy the time we do have together.

And I did manage to get in one last joke that had me laughing even after they left. Dave was FREAKING OUT over the dirt road through Cottonwood Canyon, but a few days later he said, "You know, that was kind of fun... I think I'd like to do it again." They wanted to take a scenic route home through Monument Valley, so I sent them up the Moki Dugway. (This is a section of highway that turns to dirt road and you climb switchbacks up a huge cliff.) My mom texted me updates: "Just saw the sign that says Pavement Ends. Dave wants to turn around!" I was dying laughing. When they got to the top, my mom handed Dave a note from me:

Dear Dave,

You *said* you wanted to do it again. :)

Love, Erin.

Luckily, he can take a joke.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…