Skip to main content

Memorial Day Weekend

This weekend was absolutely perfect. Lately I've been feeling like there's just so much joy in my life. I love it.

Thursday night I played tennis with Nina and kicked her butt. I was just joking when I was trash talking her (we've never been competitive before, at least when it comes to tennis), but it felt really good to win 7 out of 9 games. And after taking lessons this summer, my serve won't hold me back anymore. I can't wait. Also, I just have to say that one of my favorite sounds in the world is my sneakers squeaking on the tennis court.

Friday night I went over to Jen and Ray's, where I got to see my adorable Goddaughter, Parker.


She is 9 months old now, crawling, pulling herself up, cruising... My favorite is when she plays Peek-a-Boo. She does it backwards; she holds something in front of her face, then pulls it down and waits for you to say "Peek-a-boo." Adorable.


Saturday night I went to DC's and danced my butt off for hours. I realized that another favorite sound of mine is everyone's boots stomping on the dance floor during songs like "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" and "Pride and Joy." I also realized why I love dancing with Rachel and Kelly so much- they have the same grins on their face as me. It just makes me so happy. And I've learned so many of the dances now that I can be out there almost the whole time.

Faye and I went hiking on Sunday at Castle Rock State Park. Neither of us had been there before. It wasn't as cool as Mattheissen, but it was still really pretty and peaceful. I don't get to see the following views in the city:




Those wildflowers are my favorite color.

We also encountered a meadow. I have been dreaming for months of finding a gorgeous meadow to lay in like Bella and Edward, totally deserted and beautiful. This meadow was certainly beautiful. But it occurred to me that there is a problem with this fantasy: meadows usually have really tall grass.


Not exactly conducive to laying down. The grass isn't all mowed and soft, and there are probably ticks or other nasty bugs in there. Maybe I'd be better off in my parents' backyard.

On Monday I went to see my parents. I left their house with:

- a vacuum
-2 boxes of protein bars
-quarters for laundry
-a guitar
-a feather duster
-a bottle of acai berry juice
-a new mattress (well, that's actually being delivered in 2 weeks)
-a lot of good advice

I feel like Theo Huxtable sometimes when I go see them. They are so good to me. They listened to me freak out about my future, then gave me very calm and wise advice. I felt very comforted when I left there.

So the weekend was pretty much perfect. I hope this is an indication of what summer will be like. Eight more days!

Comments

Anonymous said…
i'm glad to read that you're enjoying life's simple pleasures.

is that from your iphone?

baby gurl.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…