Skip to main content

Storm Chasing

When I was little, I was so terrified of storms that I would throw up. My mom used to buy me all kinds of books about storms to show me there was nothing to be afraid of, but they had no effect; I would still puke. I was young enough that I only have a vague memory of this. I also remember how, when it stormed at night, my parents would hold my ears for me. And my mom was better at it than my dad.

I don't know when this shifted to fascination, but for years now, I've wanted to go storm chasing. I really really really want to see a tornado. I know Tom Skilling has this trip you can go on, but I think it's in April, so that won't work with my teaching schedule. But I have to find a way to do this. I've been unsuccessful in my solo attempts so far.

Last year I went to Cedar Point with my mom and some extended family. I was alone in the room when the tornado sirens started going off. A quick viewing of the Weather Channel revealed that there were several tornadoes in the area. After hearing the street names where they'd been spotted and the direction they were traveling, I took off running for my car. Looking back, I realize this may not have been the brightest idea since I was unfamiliar with the area and did not have GPS or anything. But from the way I was traveling I should have driven right into it. Sadly, I saw nothing. And on top of that disappointment, I had to listen to my mom freaking out- she was less than thrilled when she called and found out where I was.

Tonight there is a tornado watch, but I don't want to see a tornado in the city; I think that would be pretty scary because, well, by the time you saw it it would be a few blocks away, and I don't want to get that close. But I would like to see some more hail. I threw my coat on and ran to the door in an attempt to go play in it, and by the time I got to the door, it had stopped.

So anyway, I am adding to my list of things to do this summer: Go storm chasing.

Comments

Katie said…
There are storm chasing tours in like Oklahoma and Kansas.

I would definitely not recommend doing it on your own though, haha. There is always hail around the area a tornado is in so a the very least your car would get some nasty damage. Let it happen to someone else's car.

That, and its easier to look as a passenger.

I remember being really scared of them as a kid too. I'd tie a bandanna around my eyes and put earplugs in or go in the basement when it was just a regular old storm. Cried a lot too, haha.

But I'd love to go on a storm chasing tour too... I was talking to my mom about it earlier, haha. The only problem is that you're not guaranteed to see anything so it could end up being a waste of money..

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…