Skip to main content

Donald Miller

I LOVE this author. He has written several books, but the best one is Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality. I've read this book multiple times, and it never gets old. I don't know how to describe it; there are chapters on stuff like faith, confession, church, etc., and he just tells you stories about his life and his friends' lives, and you learn so much. It is so beautifully written.

And this book really does have universal appeal. I gave a copy to my ex's mom (who is still a friend of mine). She is Mormon and a writer for a Mormon magazine (the Ensign), and she read it and loved it and passed it around to a bunch of people at her work who all really enjoyed it, too. I also gave a copy to one of my best friends who was an atheist at the time, and she loved it as much as I do.

I have been waiting for a few years now for his next book, and it is finally here: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life. I am loving it just as much as Blue Like Jazz. I started reading it last night, and it was like seeing my best friend after not seeing him for a long time- loving every second of it, forgetting how much you enjoyed spending time together in the past, not wanting it to end, having significant realizations about your life. I can't put it down. I'll be done by tonight. And then I'll probably want to go back and reread, because there's so much in there, and I'm sure I'll miss stuff the first time through.
I seriously want to be best friends with Donald Miller. I need to find a way to make this happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…