Skip to main content

Tattoo Debacle

Last fall, I got a tattoo of the Hebrew symbol for grace. Right away, it became a problem because it looked like the letter E from the side, so everyone thought I was lame and got an E for Erin. I've been wanting to add to it forever, so Thursday I finally pulled the email my Old Testament professor had sent me to see the other symbol I wanted. (It's the symbol for steadfast love and faithfulness, as in "His love endures forever.") As I looked at the email, I made a horrifying discovery. My grace tattoo was on backwards. I had the mirror image of what it was supposed to be.

I immediately made an appointment to see Marci at Tatu Tattoo. Yesterday we sat down and tried to figure out how to fix it. I wanted to make it into music notes, but the lines were too thick. So then Marci came up with the great idea of doing a piano that kind of fades into music notes. So this is what I ended up with:



I am still getting used to it. It's a big change. I'm not crazy about the dark shading, but it was necessary. What I love is that it has significance to me. It's not so much because I used to sing, it's more for my mom. She is a piano teacher, which meant I grew up hearing lots of terrible piano music. But once in a while, she'd pull out the difficult music and just play for the fun of it, and I would lay under the piano and just be in heaven. My favorite (and I think her favorite, too), was Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. I can play the toccata, but not the fugue, which is the best part and the part I remember her playing the most. So my tattoo is actually the first few notes of the fugue. I have a Bach tattoo. How badass is that?

Here is the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor from Fantasia, which I also watched a lot when I was little. The fugue starts around 3:40.

Comments

Typo Tat said…
That is the typical story. Hebrew is written right-to-left and text editors often fail to recognize it. It's the most common mistake to be seen on a Hebrew tattoo.

At least you're not the only one:
Bad Hebrew Tattoos

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…