Skip to main content

A Success and A Failure

Let's start with the success. Last summer my uncle in Florida (who is amazing in the kitchen) made these delicious peanut energy bars. I've been craving them ever since and finally made some last night. The recipe is from the Eating Well website (a great magazine my uncle subscribes to), but we made a few changes. So here is our recipe, and the link above is to the original recipe.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup dry roasted salted peanuts
  • 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds, or other chopped nuts
  • 2 cups dried cranberries (or Craisins or whatever, but I love cranberries)
  • 2 cups rolled or instant oats
  • 2 cups Rice Krispies
  • 1/2 cup creamy or crunchy natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Coat an 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
  2. Combine peanuts, sunflower seeds (or other nuts), cranberries, oats, and Rice Krispies in a large bowl.
  3. Combine peanut butter, brown sugar and honey in a large microwaveable bowl; microwave on High until bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until coated.
  4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Press down firmly. (It helps to coat your fingers with cooking spray.) Let stand for about 1 hour to harden. Cut into bars.
They crumble really easily; my uncle's stayed together pretty well, but mine keep falling apart. But this is really no big deal- I just put them in a bowl and eat them with a spoon. They are delicious and filling and good for you.

Side note- Yesterday I put them in the pan, and Ryan came over to investigate. He was like, "Why are your energy bars making noise????" We put our ears up close and realized it was the Rice Krispies. Fun.

So since I've been on a huge baking/cooking kick lately, I got ambitious and decided to make pumpkin bread for my cousin who goes to U of I and loves pumpkin stuff and has been super stressed lately. So I found this Martha Stewart recipe. Everything was going well; I put the bread in the oven for 50 minutes, called my aunt to get my cousin's address, and chatted with her the whole time the bread was baking. When I went to take it out, my aunt heard me say words she's never heard from me before because it looked like this:


I am so mad. All that time/effort wasted because of my own stupidity. It was not Martha's fault; somehow the temperature got set at almost 500 degrees. I have no idea how. Maybe I bumped it? Seriously, I'm not that retarded. And if you disagree, please don't comment.

See all those dishes in the background? I'm about halfway done. I need to go finish now. My plan is to have a spotless apartment by the end of the day. :)

Comments

Katie said…
500 degrees, wow!
Well, I appreciate the effort!

I'll get a pumpkin spice latte tomorrow and pretend :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…