Skip to main content

First Friday

I knew that moving to a new town alone would mean that I'd have to jump in and be as social as possible. So I took my friend's advice and tried a Meetup group. I'm so glad I did!

We went to First Friday, which is a pretty big thing here in Phoenix. Lots of other cities have it, too (2nd Fridays in Chicago were in my own freakin neighborhood and I never managed to go), but Phoenix goes all-out. The streets are blocked off, there are street performers and bands and art galleries and bars. I was kind of nervous about the Meetup group. What if they weren't cool? What if they were too cool? But they were so great. There were a couple of kind of socially awkward people there, but they were nice, so it was fine. We went to some galleries, then to a bar, then out to eat, then back to someone's apartment. A very busy night. I had a great time and I'm hanging out with them again this Friday.

But somehow, these two boys in my life managed to cause drama from 1800 miles away. Pete and I were texting on Friday night, and it turned into him telling me he missed me, didn't want me to leave, etc. He called to talk about it, and I was like, "Are we seriously having this conversation right now?" But I miss him a lot, too, and I really want him to come visit. But I don't know how he feels for really, since he had been drinking when we had this conversation.

The drama that really pissed me off this weekend involved Ryan. His ex-girlfriend's friend sent me a message on Facebook, saying that Ryan and Tara (the ex) broke up in April and she was just wondering if Ryan is dating anyone because it might help Tara get over him and move on. I was mildly surprised, considering Ryan has claimed to be single since I met him last July, even when I asked him if Tara was his girlfriend. But that boy has secrets in his eyes. I'm not going to write back to this girl because I don't want to get involved in his drama. I just want to know why he was dishonest with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…