Skip to main content

I'm not freaking out.

I have anxiety issues. I have for about 6 years, since my first year teaching. My ex and I would talk on the phone every morning, and he would ask how I'd slept the night before. This is when I began to notice that it frequently took me two hours to fall asleep because I couldn't stop thinking. This escalated into panic attacks. I don't panic in a stressful situation. It's a slow process where I'm stressed out for a long time, and all of a sudden I'll be driving to Wal-Mart one day, perfectly happy, and all of a sudden I feel my chest getting tight and a few minutes later I'm gasping for breath. It's stupid and I hate it and all I can say is, thank God for Xanax.

I thought that moving would bring on multiple panic attacks because of the long-term stress involved in the situation- dealing with the movers, leaving my family and friends, starting a new job, figuring out a new city, etc.

But I'm fine.

And actually, I'm kind of freaked out that I'm NOT freaked out.

The movers came July 20 and my stuff still hasn't arrived. When I called the truck driver today, he was stuck in L.A. It's been day after day of promises and anticipation that my stuff will arrive the next day, and still, nothing. But I'm not even upset. Technically, the contract says they have till Friday. There's not much I can do before then, so why worry about it? I'm fine here at my apartment with Rachel's air mattress and my computer and some books.

I thought I would have a really hard time being away from my family and moving to a new city. Admittedly, it's only been a few weeks, and I didn't see them all the time anyway. And driving away from my parents was a lot harder than I thought it would be. But it really hasn't been a big deal. Ryan said that a year after leaving Pittsburgh, living in Chicago still doesn't feel real to him. And now I see what he means. I keep waiting to freak out about being so far away from home, but it's not even an issue. I'm settling into a routine here. I'm having so much fun exploring a new city and meeting new people. Yes, there are things about Phoenix that suck that make me miss Chicago, but no city is perfect.

I was worried about starting a new job- meeting new people, getting used to a new district and new population of students, etc. But for some reason, I haven't been nervous at all. I've been comfortable and confident and excited.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. (Isn't that the saying?) Adjusting to a new place can't be this easy. When is it going to hit me? When am I going to have a panic attack about how far away my parents are, or get depressed about not knowing many people here, or feel shy and awkward and overwhelmed at meeting so many new coworkers?

It can't be this easy, can it?

Comments

Whitney said…
I'm glad you're doing so well! See, I keep thinking the same thing after moving out in April. It's over 3 months later, and I'm happy. It's weird to be more okay than expected, but I think you should just go with it. You're bound to have moments when you're not as excited to be there at some point, but that's natural. It sounds like maybe you just needed a change, and the stressful parts of the change are worth it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…