Skip to main content

Wait for it.... Wait for it....

It finally happened. I got homesick. I knew it had to happen sooner or later. I'm just embarrassed it happened so soon.

I'm starting to really miss people. Yesterday I talked to my friend Kris and mentioned how I was feeling. She said, "You know if you ever need us, Whitney and I would be on the next plane." (Whitney, I hope you don't mind that Kris spoke for you. :)) And I desperately wanted to say, "Yes! Come here! Now!" But I didn't. Because I don't really need them, I just want them.

Then I was bombarded by texts from family members and family friends all at the same time, wishing me luck on my first day of school. And I knew they were all hanging out, and I really wanted to be there.

I went to Rachel's for our weekly viewing of True Blood (LOVING this season, by the way), and was better for a while. But as soon as I got in the car, I was sad again. On the drive home, I called Pete and was literally boo hooing about the fact that it was 10 p.m. and still 100 degrees outside. I told him I just really need to see someone, anyone, from home right now. And it's starting to sink in how far away everyone is, and I really hate the fact that my parents don't fly because I really want to see them.

(Pete, by the way, is such a dear. He is a great listener. When I finally calmed down a little, he offered suggestions, then distracted me until I was laughing. My call woke him up, but he was patient with me and was there when I needed him.)

The thing is, I'm not unhappy here. I love my job, and my apartment, and my new friends, and the church I'm going to. Things are going really well. I just miss everyone, especially my family, and I hate that I can't see them whenever I want. Most people have the experience of going off to school to prepare them for this kind of thing, but I went to college 45 minutes away from home. At the very least, I saw my parents once a month. And it was no big deal because I knew they were close. I hate not being able to see my family whenever I want. And I miss my friends. I'm so glad they still call me a lot now that I'm gone. Although I don't even really have time to talk right now; things are so crazy with school starting that I don't have any down time until like, 8:00 p.m., which is 10:00 their time.

Anyway, the point is that I'm homesick, and I'm embarrassed that I only lasted like, 3 weeks. But I love my new job and the new life I'm building for myself. I just miss everyone. So you all need to move to Phoenix, okay? Thanks.

*P.S. The title is an inside joke from Kapelle, the choir I was in in college. After every concert, we'd sing the Doxology, and everyone would make up their own harmony and it was beautiful. There was this one guy who always took forever to resolve the "amen" and we'd all be holding our notes forever, and my friend would whisper, "wait for it... wait for it..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…