Skip to main content

Resolutions

A few years ago, I thought I was going to get shanked.

Nancy and I were in line for the Peter Pan ride at Disney World, and she was giving me the "I want to stab you in the throat" look. The wait time posted said 90 minutes, but I thought, surely it won't actually take that long. Oh, that line ended up being even more than 90 minutes. And there was a 2-year-old near us who kept grabbing my butt as well as a baby with a dirty diaper in close proximity. Nancy was willing to wait because Peter Pan is one of my favorite movies and rides, but this was pushing her limits. So we started working on lists of New Year's resolutions.

I'm surprised by how well I did with my list. I got the job I want, lost weight, dated more, felt more confident, took risks, and figured out some faith issues I'd been having. I even was coming close to meeting some of the financial goals, until I lost my job.

It took 2 years to do all those things, so I didn't make any resolutions last year. But this year, I have a new list.

1. Reach my goal weight by June. 20 pounds left!

2. Call my grandma once a week.

3. Figure out how to do my hair and makeup.

4. Continue to read my Bible every night and write down three things I'm thankful for.

5. Be friends with the Jewish guy at church.

6. Be more financially responsible. (I know that's vague, but it's hard to be specific when I'm broke and already know that things are going to suck this year.)

7. Pray more often.

8. Keep my desk more organized.

9. Be less self-centered.

10. Learn guitar.

11. Read more young adult fiction so I can make better book recommendations for my students.

12. Less anxiety. Less waking up in the middle of the night freaking out about work or other stupid stuff. Less thinking I'm going to die when I'm on a plane. Fewer panic attacks that seem to come out of the blue.

This list was actually kind of depressing to make. It's like, think of all the things you suck at. But I like lists, and this will help me remember what I need to work on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Haha, does Scott know he's one of your resolutions?
Also, if you don't have a guitar and want to come play mine you're more than welcome.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…