Skip to main content

Best and Worst of 2011

Best Moments of 2011
When Rachel, Nina, Stephanie and I were dancing on the roof at Bar Smith and this guy tried to dance with us and we blocked him and he was like, "What, is this like, a circle that can't be broken?" Yup.
When my parents came to visit and we climbed rocks at Joshua Tree and my mom tried to kick me in the Grand Canyon



My 8th period Reading class


Amanda telling me I had to put my arms up and embrace life on Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland. The lumberjack/wilderness firefighter


Standing in a meadow in the Maroon Bells wilderness in a dress and hiking shoes, surrounded by mountains and wildflowers and a creek, declaring that I want to build a house in that exact spot ;



Holding Carmen at my good-bye dinner.



Singing "Colors of the Wind" in Upper Antelope Canyon with our Navajo guide


High School Musical Karaoke with Jenna


Singing "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros with Nina and Steph on our trip.


Walking into my classroom and seeing flowers on my desk Reunion with Ryan.


Kristin and I deciding to jump in the water at Johnston Shut-Ins State Park.

Dancing with Carmen.


Rappelling off a 150 foot cliff.


Snowtubing race with Kelly


When my grandma said I was one of her best pals


"We out-bad-assed the scouts!"

Lang's ghost story


Standing in the Pacific Ocean at Laguna Beach and thinking, "I can't believe this is my life." The anticipation of encountering quicksand in Buckskin Gulch ("we'll Macgyver it!"); the disappointment when the canyon was dry


Hiking the Fairyland trail at Bryce Canyon National Park, singing along with "Mine" by Taylor Swift. Rounding a corner and getting caught singing by other hikers.


Hiking in the rain in the North Woods listening to that Kenny Chesney song, "Somewhere With You"


The Do-It-Yourself Messiah when we were singing "For Unto Us a Child is Born"- when we got to the "Wonderful Counselor" part


Singing Celine Dion with Nancy. We now have motions that go with our dramatic singing. Look out, world. There may be a drunk karaoke performance in the future. Singing the Praetorious piece with Professor Brown




Worst moments of 2011:


Crashing my car

Driving away from Rachel's house for the last time


The 7th grade team meeting where another teacher tried to take me down and turn everyone against me



Crying myself to sleep because I missed my Phoenix friends so much


My iPhone being stolen


Being lost on Picketpost Mountain


Swimming through that log jam in White Canyon


The NFC Championship fiasco


Dropping off Kristin at the airport in St. Louis




I think the theme for 2011 was change. Not just the change of moving back to Chicago, but the internal changes of becoming stronger and figuring things out. Also, one year ago, I was just starting to get into hiking. I am not the same person I was a year ago.



Hoping that the theme for 2012 will be adventure.



And my resolution for 2012: Be Fearless.

Comments

Rachel said…
You did so many amazing things in 2011. I miss you so dearly. Cheers to you!
Kristin said…
I feel you completely. I'm not even close to the same person that I was a year ago. Cheers to more adventures and being FEARLESS! Oh the fun we will have in 2012.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…