Skip to main content

Things I Love About My New Place


1. Being surrounded by Humboldt Park on two sides, which is 207 acres, has a stable (that I don't think is still functioning) that looks like a castle, a boathouse where you can rent rowboats, and fishing piers and worm pits. There is even an audio tour you can download.


(Stables)

(Boathouse- pic from fineartamerica.com)




2. Fireplace with built-in shelves


3. 6-foot tall windows

4. My neighbors- an awesome mix of stay-at-home moms, hipsters, and Puerto Ricans. When I park my car at night, I notice the car in front of me. Last night, it was a car with a University of Chicago bumper sticker. Today, it was a Honda CRV with these stickers:

(One of the paw prints identifies the owner as an animal foster parent. Not sure what the triangle kid is.)




5. Coco, the amazing Cuban restaurant less than two blocks away. I think plantains are my new favorite food- how did I not know what I was missing???

6. My building is over 100 years old. The locks (inside the apartment) are all old-fashioned. The one in the bathroom still has a working skeleton key!



7. My huge dining room, complete with vintage chandelier and a table that seats 8.




8. The giant Puerto Rican flag



Transcripts from Sunday night:

Nina: I could totally scale that sucker!

Me: Nina. Get DOWN.

Nina: Awww, come on... I just found a handhold...

9. My front door has grafitti on it. And I'm not talking about the outside door, I'm talking about the door to my apartment. They obviously attempted to cover it up, but when the light hits it just right, I am greeted with "F--- you, p---y," when I arrive home from work. My landlord wants to fix it, but I kinda like it. Makes me feel like a badass.

10. Which reminds me, my landlord is super hot.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love this post! and you should let Nina climb the sign it looks like fun.
Kelly

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…