Skip to main content

High School Memories

One of the fun things about hanging out with people from high school is hearing their memories, especially the ones you forgot even happened. I got to hang out with lots of fun high school friends this weekend and was reminded of some stuff I'd totally forgotten about.

Laura and I were talking about having PE together. I only have vague memories of PE, probably because it was so traumatic. But she said, "Don't you remember that time you talked me into walking the mile with you?" (I've never run the mile in my life, and I was constantly recruiting slackers to walk with me.) "You pulled out a Hershey bar halfway through and split it with me." So embarrassing. This is how I got the name Cookie Monster in high school. I was small, but my diet consisted almost entirely of sweets.

Then Laura was like, "Do you remember the time you smoked?"

"What?" I was quite indignant. "I was GOOD at school. I NEVER would have done that."

"Like that's something I'd forget? You TOTALLY smoked!"

And all of a sudden, vague fragments of memory started coming back to me. Freshman year, when we went to the other high school, there was a path around a pond that they'd make us run. And one day, when we encountered some older boys ditching class, I bummed a cigarette and smoked while we were supposed to be running. This was a rare occasion for me; I really was a huge goody goody at school.

This is something Mike reminded me of recently. I've been hanging out with my friend Mike from high school lately. We hadn't seen each other in like, 10 years, and it's been so much fun. I love this boy to death. He's just one of the most genuinely good people I know.

He remembers that I was a goody goody at school. He has also teased me several times about how I made them (him and the other boys he hung out with) listen to RENT all the time in my car. He claims that if I turned it on now, he'd still probably remember most of the words. I told him he's just lucky he wasn't around for my contemporary Christian phase. I was such a nerd.

I remember meeting Mike and John and Eric and Jon and really wanting to be friends with them. I thought they were so cool. And I remember Liz giving me a hard time about it, saying they were probably just using me for my car. I'd go out of my way to give them rides so I could hang out with them. But last night, Mike told me that I used to walk by them on my way to class every day (before I knew them), and Mike said, "We should be friends with that girl." Mike says and does things that make my heart happy. I know that sounds incredibly "gay" (as my dear friend Ryan would say), but it's true. For example, yesterday he bought me lunch, then went with me to Ikea to get a dining room table. He was patient while I was indecisive, helped me get it in my car, then followed me back to the city, carried it into my apartment, and assembled it. I almost felt uncomfortable with how nice it was. We hung out for 7 hours, and it felt like hardly any time had gone by. I'm so glad we're friends again. I feel like, the more bad things I get rid of in my life, the more room I have for good things.

This weekend, my girlfriends and I were talking about the things that we liked and disliked the most about our lives. The thing I love the most about my life is definitely my friendships. I don't think anyone in the world is as lucky as me when it comes to friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…