Skip to main content

Things to Do Before I Die (Not a fan of the term Bucket List)

At church yesterday, we were asked to turn and talk to the person next to us about something we want to do before we die. I have a whole list of these things on my phone, and yet, in the moment, all I could come up with was, "Go to Tahiti." Which I felt really stupid saying after the girl next to me shared that she wants to start a non-profit.

The sermon ended up having nothing to do with our lists. The pastor asked us what's stopping us from doing those things, and he pointed out how there's stuff we want, and stuff we REALLY want. Like, "I want to read my Bible every day." But what stops us from doing good stuff like that is what we REALLY want, which is probably to watch The Bachelor. He then gave a great talk about our sinful natures.

But it got me thinking about my list of things to do before I die. There aren't a lot of noble, grand things on that list. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because I'm already leading a fulfilled life? While I'm still not sure what I think about my current position, I know teaching reading is what I'm passionate about, so I don't have to worry about changing careers. And if I want to change the world or do good for others, I can use that passion to do it. For example, the church I just started going to has a reading tutoring program, so I could volunteer my services there. It's not something that's going to go on my list. Stuff like "thru-hike the Appalachian Trail" isn't on there either because, let's be honest, that does not sound like fun. Unless I could stay at a hotel each night. Anyway, I just don't have a lot of epic stuff on there the way other people seem to. My list is pretty frivolous. I think the only thing cliche about it is that there are lots of travel plans.

I usually post my list of things to do in the summer, but I don't think I've ever posted my list of things to do before I die. It's an ongoing list kept on my phone, but here's what I have so far:

1. Dance at a ball in Vienna (I saw on a travel show that they still have them!)
2. Be thin
3. Go to Prince Edward Island from Anne of Green Gables
4. Zipline through the rainforest
5. Do the samba in Brazil
6. Learn guitar
7. Go to the moores in England, like in The Secret Garden
8. See a ghost
9. Live in a small town
10. Go to Tahiti
11. Make out at a drive-in theater
12. Sing in a cathedral in Europe (and probably get kicked out)
13. Go to Loch Ness. Look for the monster and sing songs from Brigadoon
14. Hike the Jesus Trail (40 miles from Nazareth to Galilee)
15. Go to the town in Germany that is our family's namesake and see if I'm treated like a celebrity
16. See a tornado
17. Live in Italy
18. See 24 hours of light in Alaska
19. Adopt
20. Run the bases at Wrigley Field
21. Swim with manatees
22. Be in a hurricane and have a hurricane party
23. See the northern lights
24. Record an album
25. Go on a Tunnel of Love ride
26. Go on an archaeological dig
27. Have a spur of the moment wedding in Vegas
28. Visit the places my ancestors are from- the towns in New England, the Horr estate in England, Ireland, Germany...

There are a few other items that are not appropriate to post in a public forum. ;)

As I looked at my list, I realized I've actually accomplished a few things- fourwheeling and meeting my birthfather. Well, I haven't actually met him yet. He just friended me on Facebook. But that's another story.

What scares me is that there is so much on this list, and I will be 30 next month. How on earth will I do it all??

Comments

Fab Free Fun said…
We are going to go to Tree to tree while you are out here. Not ziplining through the rainforest, but climbing and ziplining in forest:)

Look up Fossil,Or. You can stop on your way here or home and dig for fossils.

Then you can move here and live with me:)
Fab Free Fun said…
We are going to go to Tree to tree while you are out here. Not ziplining through the rainforest, but climbing and ziplining in forest:)

Look up Fossil,Or. You can stop on your way here or home and dig for fossils.

Then you can move here and live with me:)
Cristina said…
I have always wanted to to go Prince Edward Island ever since reading Anne of Green Gables, too. I will totally join you on that one!!
Katie said…
You know me... I'm always up for a good ghost hunt ;)

Also, I've been dying to do one of those Tornado chasing vacations. Tornadoes are one of the things I'm most scared of in life, but I really want to see one...

Also also, if you go to Italy, you will need an Italian speaker with you *HINT HINT*... and PEI sounds delightful and so does zip-lining and Germany.... and yeah. Lets do it!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…