Skip to main content

The Feminist Within. Deep, Deep Within.

I don't usually consider myself a feminist.  I mean, I want women to be considered equal to men, but I'm not like some of my friends, who are always ranting about the patriarchy.  I'm fine with traditional gender roles.  I like to wear pearls and dresses and play the hostess.  I don't do well with violence and can't handle scary movies.  I like when guys are gentleman and insist on walking you to your car late at night and act protective.

But this trip I'm taking has me wondering if maybe there is a feminist lurking somewhere inside me.

Because I get SO MANY comments about being alone in the woods and the bad stuff that could happen to me.  Some people have legitimate concerns, and I don't mind those.  But often, there's this patronizing tone, and the implication is that I'm a silly girl and have no idea what could go wrong or how to deal with it.  Gwen Stefani has become my new BFF.

Would people be making all these comments if I was a boy?

I don't think so.

What annoys me about that is that I have guy friends in the city that would have NO IDEA what to do out in the wilderness.  Being a guy doesn't automatically make you prepared to take on grizzlies, navigate through the forest, or climb a mountain.

The best compliment I ever got was from my friend Lauren back in college.  We were on tour in New Orleans, staying at a hotel in a really shady neighborhood.  I was hanging out with a group of friends and decided I wanted to go do some shopping and would meet up with them later.  The guys were all concerned and tried to stop me, saying it was a strange city and a bad neighborhood, etc.  And Lauren finally stepped in and said, "HEY!  I would trust myself more with just Erin than with all of you guys put together."  (Lauren lived next door to me that year.  She knew that I spent a lot of time hanging out on the west side.)

I don't know everything.  There are plenty of situations I'm sure I'll encounter where I'm not 100% sure what to do.  But being a girl is not a handicap.  I'll be all right.  I need encouragement and pep talks, not pessimism and condescension.

Yesterday my parents said, "People keep asking us, 'Aren't you worried???' And we say, 'Yes, we're worried sick!'"

And I was like, next time someone says that to you, I need you to say, "Hell no!  Our daughter's a total f-ing bad ass, and we trust her to handle whatever comes her way."

(This response would be especially interesting considering most of these conversations happen at church.)  But I really think that, if I was a guy, a lot of these conversations wouldn't be happening.

I like being a girl, and I like being treated like a girl.  But this is just a little too much.

Comments

Whitney said…
This is not going to be a very intellectual comment... It's just that when I read what you write about feminists "ranting about the patriarchy", it sounds kind of old-fashioned-like to me...like "kids these days, using their computers and such". :-P

My second comment is a little more academic, though - actually, all feminism is, by definition, is believing that women have equal rights and deserve equal opportunities as men. Not super specific, and leaves plenty of room for your femininity...I think it's just that people who are more comfortable with a male-dominated social structure are less annoyed by it because it's not infringing on anything that you want personally. You will find more people identifying with feminism amongst those who have run into the annoying rules and obstacles that patriarchy puts in their paths.

And finally, for the record, I think you'll be fine out in the wilderness, from a combination of a little prep and a lot of natural scrappiness. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…