Skip to main content

Summer is here!

In addition to the concert yesterday, the rest of the weekend has been totally fabulous.  I had a bad week last week; lots of stress with trip planning and the job situation and everything.  This weekend, I finally felt back to normal.

My dad took me to the zoo on Friday.  So random!  I was going to take him to the Cubs/Sox game, and he didn't want to deal with the hassle of going to Wrigley.  But he didn't want me to think he didn't want to spend time with me, so he suggested the zoo instead.  So went and had a lovely time.  My favorite thing to see there is the giraffes.
 

My dad told stories about going there as a kid.  Apparently my great-uncle Mont would always say, "Well, let's go visit the relatives first," and lead everyone to the monkeys.  I love when my dad tells old-time stories.

Friday night I went to the Relationship Roundtable event at church.  The event itself was not spectacular, but I went for the social aspect, which didn't disappoint.  I went out to this restaurant called De Cero afterwards with a group of girls and made some new friends.  These girls were f-ing awesome.  Seriously.  One girl had just gotten back from rafting the New River in West Virginia (Class V rapids!) and came straight to church from a session with her tattoo artist.  One of the girls lives just down the street from me and is into hiking, so as far as I'm concerned, we need to be BFF's.  We are hanging out this week.

The restaurant was really good, too, although overpriced.  I had a mango margarita with chile powder that was strong and delicious.  They also had salsa made with jalapenos and Michigan strawberries that was interesting (in a good way).  I would definitely go back.

Saturday was all about hanging out with great people.  I went to the beach with some girls from my small group and had a blast.  I love how, as we get to know each other better, everyone is more comfortable around each other.  I was afraid they'd be all church-y and judge-y, but they are not.  Also, it was just the perfect summer day.  I was in heaven, driving down Lake Shore Drive listening to Sublime with the windows down.  It was so good to laze around on the beach, working on my tan and giggling with the girls.  Seriously, is there anything better than summer in Chicago?  It's like, we pay our dues by enduring the winter, so when summer finally comes, everybody wants to take full advantage.  There's just this energy in the city that's hard to describe, but it makes me feel profoundly grateful to live here.

One of the best parts of yesterday that I didn't mention in my Brad Paisley post was hanging out with Mike.  I just love that boy to death.  And it's funny because, since he's such a sweetheart, he doesn't see all my personality flaws.  He made me promise that I'll call him next time I'm being a bitch because he doesn't believe it ever happens.  What a sweetheart.  If only he knew...

Today was hot.  Too hot to walk down to Glazed and Infused for Sunday doughnuts, so I went to Dunkin' Donuts instead and immediately regretted it.  My parents are right; I am becoming a food snob.  Anyway, I spent most of the day holed up in my air-conditioned bedroom, listening to country music and flipping through old issues of Backpacker, looking for hikes.  It looks like I'm going to do a lot of "peak bagging" this summer.  I think I have lost my mind.  I hate climbing mountains; I am too lazy.  But I guess that's what one does in Oregon, Washington, and Montana.  And I'm going to look *good* when I get back if I'm climbing mountains like, every day for a month.

I also discovered that show Girls on HBO.  Actually, it was more like, I discovered that I've had HBO for all this time, so I could finally watch this show all my friends have been talking about.  And I f-ing love it!  (For some reason, in my inner monologue today, every other word is the f- word... Sorry about that...)  Hannah had some quote about having lots of self-confidence but no self-worth, and I was like, yes!  That is me!  And True Blood was on tonight!!  It was kind of lonely to watch alone... in Phoenix I always watched with Rachel and Mico.  There was no one to scream with me when that werewolf started eating her son.  I had to close my eyes!  But I am so excited to see what happens this season.  That show f-ing rocks.  

Anyway, this has turned into a rambling narration of my entire weekend, but the point is, it is f-ing summer in Chicago, and I couldn't be happier about it.  I love this city.  I love my friends.  I love True Blood.  I f-ing love my life.  That is all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…