Skip to main content

Good Things

Yesterday, Margaret and I rehearsed for Liz's wedding.  We talked about music we want to do at church, and I mentioned a bluegrass piece that I think would be fun.  I found out that the pastor majored in guitar at Indiana University AND has his own bluegrass band here in the city!  Look out Lutherans, we are bringing bluegrass to church later this summer.

I had "lunch" with Leisa at Bang Bang Pie Shop.  I was a little devastated when I saw a sign about the kind of lard they use, but did that stop me?

Heck no.  This time I had the honey custard pie with graham cracker crust, strawberries, and fresh whipped cream.  You could tell that they make it with some kind of fabulous organic, local honey; it was amazing.  The company was pretty great, too.  Leisa is a total badass.  She spent a year on a mission trip traveling all over the world, doing amazing stuff like trying to stop female circumcision in Kenya.  When I get back from my trip, I told her I want to spend a few hours just listening to all her stories.

Nancy and I spent about two hours on the phone yesterday.  She is in the middle of buying a condo, so we raged about the dying middle class and the 1% and the shady politicians and the villains on Wall Street.  I love that girl.

Speaking of love, I am in love with these bands my buddy Lang recommended to me- The Steeldrivers and the Super Saturated Sugar Strings.  I especially love the Steeldrivers' singer's voice.  It's all rough and blues-y sounding- totally hot.  Both groups are somewhat bluegrass, but not pure bluegrass.  Almost like the Avett Brothers' song, "January Wedding."  Their music will be perfect for my road trip.  AND, the Super Saturated Sugar Strings will be playing in Portland while I'm there, so I'm going to see them!

I spent a long time yesterday organizing my trip binder.  When I was printing out info on Olympic National Park, it said that people are seeing lots of bears on the 17 mile trail I'm planning on doing.  Sweet!  I have to say, after all this build-up, I'll be really disappointed if I don't see any bears.  Although, I am doing this without bear spray.  I talked to a guy at REI about it the other day, and he didn't think I needed any.  But then he asked me to please come in after my trip so he knows I'm alive.  But really, what are the chances of me being charged by a bear?

One more good thing: I'm no longer nervous about being lonely on this trip.  As soon as I talked about it at small group, I felt a million times better.  I remembered that my very favorite hike was done alone, and that I LIKE being alone.  And I saw this show on PBS the other day called Alone in the Wilderness about this guys who was self-reliant in the Alaskan wilderness for like, 30 years.  Now, that would be way too long to be alone.  But he journaled and made videos and was totally content, so I'm going to do the same thing.  I'm going to have long conversations with God and remember how to be fearless (which is something that I tend to lose in Chicago for some reason) and have no anxiety (because hiking is the one thing that totally clears my mind).

Okay, one thing that is NOT good: There is another moth in my apartment.  This one's in my living room.  I was braver this time; I actually went over the the window it was on and opened the window.  But it's not flying out.  It keeps fluttering around the window, which sends me screaming into the bedroom every time.  At least it's not in my bedroom... I'm going to go get my oil changed and pray that it's gone when I get back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…