Skip to main content

What a coincidence!

This weekend I was pretty much stuck at home because Riot Fest was happening across the street, and I knew if I moved my car, I'd never find another spot when I got home.  I pretty much hermited on Saturday, but I had to go to church this morning because the choir was singing, and I also promised Margaret I'd help with Sunday School music since she wasn't going to be there.  I had a dilemma.

I could:

a) Take the bus.  I live on Division, and my church is a block off of Division, so it wouldn't be too complicated.  But I have never taken the bus in the city before, and I am scared to do it by myself for the first time.

b) Cab it.  But I hate to spend the money!

c) Walk.  It's only 4 miles.  I did 8 mile hikes all summer, and this one wouldn't have any elevation gain. :)

I went with C and walked to church, congratulating myself on all the calories I was burning (as I munched on a still-warm blueberry muffin from Letizia's Natural Bakery).

I had lunch with my friend Lisa after church, who ran in her first race last night and was full of helpful advice. When it was time to go home, I was less than excited about walking.  I texted Pete, but he was working, so I started walking.
A few blocks down the road, I ran into a couple from church.  I knew them through Margaret (and if Margaret thinks someone is cool, they are cool) and I had actually sung with the girl in our little "Lutheran Spice Girls" group.  They were standing at the bus stop.

I stopped to chat, and they were taking the bus the same way I was.  Veronica said she never took the bus either until she moved to Humboldt Park and was totally sympathetic.  They invited me to ride with them, and I accepted.

So I took the bus for the first time, and it was not traumatic!  And, as we started talking, we realized we live in the same building!  They just moved in about a month ago.  They love the neighborhood, and it was so nice to talk to people who had good things to say about Humboldt Park after talking to so many people who think I live in the ghetto.

I am so excited to have new friends in my building!  I always want to try out the bars and restaurants in my neighborhood, but didn't know anyone else who lived here.  I am seeing lots of brunches in our future...

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is so great! Also as a former humbolt park resident I can confirm that it is a great place to live. :) - abby

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…