Skip to main content

Elementary School Cuteness

There's not much going on in my life right now except work. But the kids have been especially cute lately, so I thought I'd write down a few stories.

I've been DIBELing the kindergartners, and they crack me up because they are so SQUIRMY. Each section of the test is one minute, and some of them are moving around the whole time. They are also easily distracted. One little boy, after telling me the first sound he heard in the word "game," started telling me all about how he has those at home, and he plays them with his mama. Another little girl stopped in the middle of the letter naming test to bend down and tie her shoe. (Which wasn't untied in the first place.) Their antics definitely break up the monotony of testing so many kids.

One day last week, while I was testing a first grader, another boy from his class came running into the library. The boy, R, was pointing at the student I was testing and yelled, "He didn't ask! He left without asking! He didn't ask!" He was very distressed that this other student might have broken the rules and wanted this injustice to be addressed.

A few seconds later, the class's substitute teacher ran into the library. And oh, was she pissed. "R, what are you doing in here? You can not just run out of the classroom without permission!"

"But he left without asking!" R exclaimed indignantly in his high-pitched little voice, pointing at the student I was testing. (Who actually DID have permission to be out of the classroom.)

Hilarious. But first graders do not understand irony.

This little boy, R, keeps us all entertained. He is one of those super smart kids with no common sense. Because he is so smart, the substitute teacher made him the "class monitor" that day. He was in charge of writing names on the board of any student who broke the rules.

The next morning, his teacher arrived to a chalkboard covered in kids' names. One name was noticeably missing, but was included in the note the sub left for the teacher. His teacher decided to have a little fun with him and wrote his name in ENORMOUS letters on the board. Then she circled it and put a ton of checks after it.

When R walked in the room, his already wide eyes grew even wider. He couldn't even put together a whole sentence.

"Why is... But I didn't... I was... That's not..."

Finally he started yelling, "But I didn't write my name! I was good! I didn't write my name!" He wasn't angry or crying or anything, just totally confused.

I am not sure how he felt about this prank. He was probably just relieved that he wasn't in trouble.

Sometimes I miss working with middle school students, but the little ones are pretty stinkin' cute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…