Skip to main content

Long distance like

I am in like. 

It's that disgusting phase when you first meet someone and you can't get enough of them.  You're excited every time they text, and you feel like you could talk to them for hours.

The problem here is that Bernie is an hour behind in Phoenix.

And Bernie doesn't have to be up for work in the morning.  His daily agendas include things like hiking, rock climbing, canyoneering, or playing cards with Gram.

We text throughout the day, but it's like he has some sensor that goes off as soon as I get into bed: call or text Erin NOW.

And of course, I want to talk to him, so I stay up way too late.

I am a zombie.

Even my principal asked why I'm so tired lately.

And everyone who's lived or traveled with me knows, it is a BAD idea to mess with my sleep. 

I can't take much more of this.  Bernie's out in the Sups right now, hiking and camping.  I figured he'd be out of cell phone range, giving me a few days' reprieve.  Last night I slipped into my warm, soft, comfortable bed at 10:00 and thought, "This is gonna feel soooo good."

I laid there thinking about Tuolumne Meadows, drifting towards sleep.

And my phone rang.

And it wasn't just any phone call.  He'd obviously been drinking, and when I asked (or actually, yelled), "What's all that noise???" the answer was, "Oh, that's just the chainsaw."

Oh. Dear. God.

I got off the phone as quickly as possible, but there were a few more phone calls.  And texts.  Because, you know, he missed me.  And the beer made it very important that he express this to me. 

And I miss him.

But I miss sleep, too. 

Comments

Whitney said…
Sometimes it's the mix of time difference and total change of context (meadow-filled bedtime thoughts vs. alcoholic chainsaw massacre) that makes it so hard to connect. He's wide awake and may not register what your likely scene is...

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…