Skip to main content

Super Lower Wacker

So I left work in a bad mood because that boy who fought yesterday and should have been suspended was not suspended and started another fight at the end of the day today. I couldn't wait to get home and relax. But I needed to stop at the library downtown really quick. It's only about a 5 minute drive from my apartment, and I needed to get a book I was going to use for school.

I parked at a meter on State, like I usually do. I found my book quickly, but then I went up to the 10th floor to hang out with my friend for a few minutes. By the time I got back to my car (in a downpour with no umbrella), it was gone.

There was a sign on the meter that said you couldn't park there till after 3:30. But I missed the other sign that said you couldn't park between 4 and 6 p.m. I stood there in the pouring rain and tried to figure out what to do. Oddly enough, my biggest concern was that my library books were getting wet. Luckily, some people at the Pacific Garden Mission across the street took pity on me and let me hang out in their lobby, where I started frantically calling people. Of course, no one was around. Finally I called my friend Whitney, who works downtown. She was a sweetheart and bought me a drink, and we hung out till Nina could come save me. While we were hanging out, everyone else started to call back and offer help as well, which was really nice. It's comforting to know you have friends who are willing to drive into the city during rush hour to save you.

I owe Nina so big. This girl took the el from UIC to her place in the Gold Coast to get cash. Then her friend picked her up and drove downtown to pick me up. He drove us both to Super Lower Wacker (aka the Homeless Convention, which broke my heart), and Nina paid $160 to get my car back.

There are a few things that are slightly ironic about this. First of all, we were just joking this weekend about Super Lower Wacker, and how it is the dirtiest place on Earth. We played MASH (pretending we were in middle school again), and it was determined that Rachel would honeymoon on Super Lower Wacker. (By the way, that's what we call the 3rd level of Wacker). Anyway, I voiced my curiosity about it since I'd never been there. As my dad just said, today I got a very expensive tour.

Also, I was very excited for this paycheck on Friday because I was finally ahead on bills and was going to have a $150 surplus. I kept imagining all the fabulous things I'd do with that money and finally decided I would start my Christmas shopping, or maybe put some of it towards that $372 bill I got for the cervical cancer vaccine. But now it all goes to Nina. I guess I should be thankful I will have money to pay her back, but seriously, it's like I can't catch a break. But I have nothing to blame but my own stupidity.

Tomorrow's adventure: the post office. Initially, it doesn't sound very exciting. But the postal service in my neighborhood is like that of a third world country. I promise. My friend's ex's dad lives in Guatemala, and what I'm dealing with is worse than his mail service. I have to go pick up a package, so who knows what excitement and danger I'll face in the process.

Comments

Miss Katharine said…
While it was FABULOUS to see you, I still feel bad about your car. :-(

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…