Skip to main content

TV and Movies

I think I've mentioned before that I tend to form these unhealthy emotional attachments to fictional characters. Usually this happens when I read. For example, I feel like I am best friends with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants girls. And whenever I read those books (I've reread them several times), I feel the need to call my friends and tell them I love them. I get way too emotionally involved.

Well, this has spread to TV now, too. I've decided that Thursday nights can't get any better: Ugly Betty, The Office, and Scrubs. I think I blogged about the fact that I was devastated when Santos was shot, especially because they just had to go and tie in West Side Story. It was just so beautifully done, I was in tears. It took me all summer to get over it. Well, last night Sarah and I were shouting with excitement when Santos appeared with that bandage on. I was so relieved! And then, to find out that that was all Hilda's imagination, and that he really is dead- I was in tears all over again. It made my heart hurt. Maybe because I think about what it would be like to actually lose someone you love that much, and then I think that there are people living with that every day. My heart is still hurting a day later. It was really hard to turn on The Office after that and try to laugh (although I still managed to).

Other shows that I currently watch:
Jon and Kate Plus 8 on Discovery Health
Bones
Gossip Girl
Degrassi and The Best Years on The N

I will also guiltily admit that I've watched a few old episodes of Home Improvement lately. It takes me back to the time when I had posters of JTT all over my bedroom...

I have watched a few good movies in the past few weeks, too. Last weekend I finally got to watch all of Charade, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. How is it that Cary Grant was just hot at any age? I really liked it not only because of the actors, but because it was a suspense movie I could actually watch without closing my eyes- no excessive violence! And tonight I watched The Trouble With Angels with Hayley Mills. I remember watching this movie during sleepovers with Carley. My mom would make us smores in the microwave and we'd watch old movies with Hayley Mills because my parents were very careful about what we watched. (I remember not even being allowed to see Grease! It took me a while to figure out why.) I really liked the Trouble With Angels, and predictably, cried at the end. I don't know where all this emotion is coming from... Anyway, I thought it was cool that Rosalind Russell was in it, too. She plays Hildy in one of my favorite movies ever, His Girl Friday.

Wow, I could go on and on about TV and movies, but I do need to get to bed. This week was exhausting and discouraging, and tomorrow I have to be up to go apple picking!

Comments

Linz said…
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad to read about someone else's reaction to Ugly Betty. I don't know many people who watch it but Nate watched it with me this week and the moment where you see Hilda by herself in that room, oh my gosh we were seriously SHOCKED. So freaking sad. I'm still not over it. By the way, still meaning to write you back on Facebook, my world has been crazy lately! Luckily there are fun shows to watch at night!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…