Skip to main content

You don't have to read this

I know this is going to be long. My blog is like my journal, and I thought that writing about my thoughts might help me. So this will probably be long and boring.

This month, I’ve been feeling very restless. This definitely isn’t an unusual feeling for me. You can tell by my previous posts that there are all these things I want to do, and I can’t decide between them. I know that the way I think about things is complicated, and that it’s silly to be worrying about next year right now. But I can’t help it. The other day at lunch, I decided to ask my coworkers for advice. When I started explaining, Charity told me to be quiet because I was giving her a headache. Michelle just didn’t understand what I was worrying about. But Chad got it. And he said he can totally picture me just picking up and moving and starting an adventure somewhere else.

This is exactly what I want to do. But then I start thinking of the logistics of it all, and I don’t know if I could. Do I really want to be that far away from my family? I know they wouldn’t come visit; they’ve only been to see me in the city once, and I’ve lived here for nine months. My dad works five minutes away in the loop, but he hates being in the city and doesn’t want to be here when he doesn’t have to be. And my friends are pretty much broke like I am, so they wouldn’t be able to come visit much either. And since teachers don’t get paid much in other parts of the country, I wouldn’t be able to afford to come home very often. Chicago pays teachers really well- do I really want to give up a comfortable salary?

On top of those things, there’s also the fact that I’d be moving alone. I love to go have adventures and find new things to do. That’s the big appeal of moving. Sometimes it’s okay to go by yourself, but for the most part, you need a partner in crime. I have many partners in crime here in Chicago. But I can just picture myself in some random city, wanting to go out and try new things, but not wanting to go by myself. So overall, I just don’t know if moving somewhere by myself would be the best idea.

What I should do is stay here. I’ve created a life for myself that I’m very happy with. If I stay in my district, I’d make $10,000 more next year than I do now- I’d finally have some money. And if I stay one more year, I can take all those classes at Governor’s State to get my reading endorsement. What I really want to do is teach reading; I shouldn’t have wasted time on my Curriculum and Instruction master’s, although I like that a lot, too. Also, if I stay one more year, it will be easier for me to come up with the money I need for my dad’s retirement gift next January. But my job here is not guaranteed for another year since I’m not tenured and that awful woman who is now consulting for the school board hates me. And that seems like such a long time- 2 more years altogether that I’d be here.

The point is, for whatever reason, I’m just not happy right now. I feel like my friend Abby did that one night at small group, where she was talking about how frustrated she was with her life because she felt like God had all these big things planned for her and she was worried that she was stuck and not going anywhere. Carla’s advice to her was that she was incubating; God was preparing her for all those great things He had planned. (That was the night our name became the Incubators). I’m really feeling like Abby did; I feel like there’s something I’m missing out on, something I need to be doing. I’ve been praying about it- praying that some opportunity will present itself. Until then, I guess I just have to wait. But it’s obvious this feeling is not going away. This has been going on for over two years now. I just wish someone would tell me what I’m supposed to do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Before you make any rash decisions you definately should weigh the pros and cons like you are doing. However, how can you compare what you have and your opportunities are in Chicago with some other place if you don't know where that other place is and what that place has to offer. I think the first step would be picking out a few places to move to, do some research, see if the opportunities in those other places are worth giving up what you possibly have in Chicago. If so, do it...and don't hesitate. You might think you're making the wrong decision, but as long as you do your research and know what you're getting yourself into, everything will work itself out. But again, do some research and planning and get all of your info in one place, write it all down, weigh out the pros and cons, and THEN decide out of those options what it is that you REALLY honestly want to be doing. You won't regret your decision whatever it may be.

Let's put it this way, I moved to Florida because I wanted to get away from the hole in the wall town I was in. ALL of my friends were there, I grew up there. I knew no-one here (granted my family is here, but that's different than having a great grood of partner's in crime!. At the time it seemed like a hasty decision I made, but looking back I wouldn't change it for the world. I love my life here, I go back about once a year to see everyone and YES I wish I could see them WAY more often, but I also have a GREAT group of friends here that I would have never met without making the decision to move here. I wouldn't have my beautiful son. I wouldn't have the wonderful career options I have now.

My point is this: It will deifnately be a scary decision, but whatever you decide Erin, it will be the right thing for YOU! Remember that, and keep praying about it because with God on your side it'll make the final decision that much easier! Love ya!
Anonymous said…
Oh...also, about the $ issue. If you decide to move somewhere else and you think you won't be paid accurately enough, don't forge the difference in cost of living. What you pay for rent right now might be twice as much as what you may be paying in another place. Just keep that in mind too.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…